Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s the plan. I’ll measure tomorrow but there is basically on stall of a two car garage. Depth is 21’ and I have 10’ width. I built it on rollers so I can move and work on one side at a time. If it gets too tight I’ll move the skiff to dry stack or a buddies garage.

·
Brandon, FL
9,288 Posts
well worth the $$ for CNC. He even pallet and shipped them which was not that expensive. I’m not a purist with making my own cuts etc and Knowing the skiff will start true helps with the confidence level.
You got this! Seeing you built the Jolly Roger, this will be a picnic.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,592 Posts
Looking good! Saved yourself probably 25 hours by not having to loft and cut out those stations! Even more if you count all the time you'd end up spending double checking the measurements.

I'm really impressed with the Beryllium skiff -- if it was available when I started mine, I would have been extremely tempted to go that route instead.

Will you have the option to drop it off the casters? You'll probably be putting some significant force against it and it's nice to have it sturdy as possible.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Good move on the stations. I think it is well worth the cost.

Edited to add: And it will save your back. I believe a full sheet of MDF is north of 90 pounds.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If your legs end up flimsy, get a piece of 1/4" plywood and span between them. It will make them crazy strong.

Reactions: Mc_Fly

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so definitely need to tighten up the strong back. Once I put all the stations up there it needs some added strength. I’m only working an hour or two per day due to work obligations so Progress will be modest. Broke the keel today which sucked but have it back together and have the stations on the strong back. Not aligned let but moving along. Goal is the make it all plum by the weekend and hopefully get core next week. Tip of the week is don’t get the bigger hammer! But in all seriousness, cnc is awesome as the stations are a realllly tight fit making them super solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so I priced out the core and was quoted 1900 shipped for divinicell h80 vs carbon core around 1000. Where are you guys getting core? Any real world experience with divinicell vs carbon core?

·
Registered
660 Posts
^
Chris used Carbon Core on his last build which pretty much should answer your question. To the best of my knowledge, both the PE and PVC have been used on these builds though, fwiw, their rep recommended the PVC .

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^
Chris used Carbon Core on his last build which pretty much should answer your question. To the best of my knowledge, both the PE and PVC have been used on these builds though, fwiw, their rep recommended the PVC .
unfortunately, they are now out of stock, so h80 it is.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,592 Posts
I used Carbon Core PVC60. It's very similar to Divinycell H60 (both are closed cell, cross-linked PVC with near identical mechanical properties). Carbon Core doesn't have an H80 "equivalent" as far as I can tell. They have the PE80 which is the same density, but is a different material with different mechanical properties. As far as I know, @JC Designs is the only one to have built a finished skiff with ithe PE80, so he might be able to chime in.

Also, I believe Chris actually used Divinycell on his Beryllium skiff, although he and I discussed Carbon Core at one point. I think he wanted to stick with what he was comfortable with, which was the H80. I'd have to double check his build thread, though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts