Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Microskiff!. I've been viewing this site for quite time and and following several builds of Chris Morejohn's design. I started a Beryllium skiff build in late September and I'm estimating a year to build it in my "spare time" which generally means at night after my daughter is in bed and a few hours here and there on the weekends. I've reduced the length from 18'6 to 17'3 (including deck and rubrail) by eliminating the original transom (Station "0") and making Station 1 my new transom location. I did this so the boat will fit straight into my garage instead of at an angle.

I was not going to post my build but after all that I have learned from everyone here I thought it would be best to share some things I learn along the way and hopefully help persuade others to try building their own skiff. I will try to keep my instagram page updated as well (same user name as here) but I'm not all that great at keeping up with social media.

For background, I have not built a boat this size or using this method before. I have built some very basic plywood canoes for duck hunting and about a dozen surfboards. Surfboard building seems translate a bit in terms of being comfortable working with foam and fiberglass.

I currently own a Hells Bay Biscayne and it is a fantastic boat. My decision to build a Beryllium is not because the Biscayne doesn't do what I want it to (though there are always little things we want to tweak and customize). Building a boat is a challenge to myself and I'm also hoping to teach my daughter how a little bit of knowledge (thank you to everyone on microskiff who has provided boat building information!) and a lot of hard work can lead to some pretty cool things. She has already helped me with a few small parts of the boat build and appears to be taking pride in the work shes doing so I'm pretty happy with that. If all goes well with the build I may sell the Biscayne to get a bay boat for the family so if anyone is interested in the Biscayne let me know.

For this build I want to keep it simple: 50hp Tohatsu tiller, full front deck with hatch, walkable gunnels, not sure yet how I will lay out the back deck. The floor of the Beryllium has a bit of curve to it so I may have to build a false floor to keep it flat and easier to walk on but we will see how it looks once the hull is flipped. Electronics will be minimal. No live well. Removable cooler seat in the middle.

I have finished coring the boat with 3/4" Divinycell and will fill the screw holes and small voids soon. I'm hoping to have the outer fiberglass finished by the end of the year but there's quite a few house hold projects that have popped up and we have family coming in to town for the holidays. I've got a long way to go but its fun to see the boat start to take shape. I will post photos soon and I will try to keep up with the progress but this will be a slow build.

Please feel free to ask questions.

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks great. Man that looks like a wide boat up top. What's the beam on it?
The waterline beam at 6" draft will be about 59"-60". The max beam up top as it sits right now is 74.5". Once you add a little bit of deck overhang and rubrail it will likely be right around 78.5", depending on how much deck you add. I think it looks wide on the top when viewed from the front because the bow narrows down a lot for a pretty sharp entry. I'm hoping this translates into a good ride in chop but still nice and stable at rest. It should be pretty comfortable on anchor too. It does not seem very wide when viewed from the side or stern. I'm very interested to see how wide it looks once flipped.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Congrats--really looks good and I'm looking forward to following your build.

Looks great. Man that looks like a wide boat up top. What's the beam on it?
Does anyone know if Chris has a page comparing the specs of the Conchfish vs the Beryllium? I've found this ( https://hogfishdesign.wordpress.com/2019/05/16/latest-skiff-plans-available-for-purchase/) but it blurs out when I try to enlarge. I'm guessing the Beryllium has more deadrise but has more beam which should make the draft numbers somewhat similar ( ?? ). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Brandon, FL
12,648 Posts
You are doing a fantastic job Jelly.

If I could give you one piece of advice: now that you have it assembled put some casters on the platform. When you start sanding your wife, garage and everything in there will be covered with dust for the next three years. Roll it outside to sand.

Love the bus too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Does anyone know if Chris has a page comparing the specs of the Conchfish vs the Beryllium? I've found this ( https://hogfishdesign.wordpress.com/2019/05/16/latest-skiff-plans-available-for-purchase/) but it blurs out when I try to enlarge. I'm guessing the Beryllium has more deadrise but has more beam which should make the draft numbers somewhat similar ( ?? ). Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I don't believe there is a specific page on Chris' site comparing the two. The Beryllium does have more dead rise and more beam than the Conchfish. The line drawings for the Beryllium show a few different displacement and weight figures with draft ranging from 5"-7" which is fairly comparable to the Conchfish. Im sure if you email Chris he can give you more specs and comparisons.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You are doing a fantastic job Jelly.

If I could give you one piece of advice: now that you have it assembled put some casters on the platform. When you start sanding your wife, garage and everything in there will be covered with dust for the next three years. Roll it outside to sand.

Love the bus too.
Thanks for the advice. I am very open to all ideas and suggestions. I have a set of casters but Im waiting to put them on until the hull is glassed. I built my table and stations a little too high and adding casters now would make it difficult to glass. Once the outer hull is glassed I will modify the table to make it a little shorter and add casters. I don't mind sanding foam in the garage but fairing compound is way too messy once it turns to dust.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
594 Posts

Jellyfishes, polepostion,
Looking real good. I will start coring my Beryllium build today.
I have been super busy in my life now between selling my Island home, shipping my beach loot back to the states and setting up shop and camp up here in Mt Olive NC.
Tomorrow I will stake the time to write on my blogs all the differences about these designs.
I have an app now that takes pdf quality photos of my images so I will use this to let everyone be able to enlarge everything to see better and for home reprinting.
All this stuff takes time.
Jellyfishes, I grew up in a VW van in the 60s traveling with my parents throughout California, Baja and mainland Mexico camping in her along the way. I will look up my old photos to share when they arrive from the Bahamas.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts