Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 1977 Maverick, boat had trim tabs at one point but the previous owner took them out. Have a sting ray hydro foil but was wondering if anybody has tried these new trim tabs. Pros and cons?

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
I used some self leveling tabs on a smaller boat and went with nauticus because they have a quick lift bracket. Basically the Bennet self leveling tabs are always in their fully deployed position till they meet resistance and then they lift. Nauticus is the same way but they have an optional bracket where you can manually lift them up in shallow water or if you are running in a following sea. The boat I put them on isnt much more than a gheenoe so that was all that was necessary. You would probably be better off with powered tabs on a Maverick.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have used Bennett self leveling trim tabs on 3 different skiffs they perform great they have a lock up position and you can change the springs out for different tensions also if you descide you want powered on you can change out the rams for electric .and they our very reasonably priced .good luck.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I run an old Maverick (1988) 17' that I rigged out myself (might have been the only one that Scott let go un-rigged ) and I've had Bennett tabs on it forever... Go to their site and look at all they offer - then buy and install a proper set of tabs - you'll be glad you did... I run their original hydraulic tabs and unlike other outfits - Bennetts were designed to be owner installed from the first. They have full instructions (with the correct measurements, etc.) for anyone to do the install themselves - and they've always been first rate in customer service... Can't say enough good things about them whether you go with the original hydraulic (what that hull probably had since way back then Bennetts were the only game in town....) or the newer electrics you should get great results. Properly installed trimmers make any boat a better ride (and unlike fixed tabs with the powered version you can adjust your running attitude (like flying an airplane) for whatever wind or wave conditions you're in. That means a much drier ride for all aboard on a bad weather day (or night...). Last I checked a complete kit was less than $400 all told for the original hydraulics.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I worked running a boat for 25yrs. and have had both brands.
IMHO Lencos are the way to go because if one tab goes out you can simply replace w. a new one.No worrying about leaks or pumps and really simply to install yourself.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The Bennett BOLT Electric Trim Tabs are nice but I really like my LectroTabs that Chittum and Drake Boatworks are using. They have a lifetime warranty as apposed to a 3 or 5 year like Lenco plus they are much, much quieter.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,527 Posts
The Bennett BOLT Electric Trim Tabs are nice but I really like my LectroTabs that Chittum and Drake Boatworks are using. They have a lifetime warranty as apposed to a 3 or 5 year like Lenco plus they are much, much quieter.
I spec'd out Bolts for my new EVOx but I need to look into the Lectro's. I have a good friend that has a new Laguna Madre 18, I'll ask him. Thanks for the heads up.

As for the OP, I have Lenco's on my Vantage. I've had a fair bit of problems with them but understand they have resigned the touch pad and control box so things are supposed to be much more reliable. Definitely get tabs you can adjust on the fly for trimming out the boat for the best ride.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I worked running a boat for 25yrs. and have had both brands.
IMHO Lencos are the way to go because if one tab goes out you can simply replace w. a new one.No worrying about leaks or pumps and really simply to install yourself.
I was unaware that Bennet had electric tabs:rolleyes:...........hydraulic tabs are a pain

1 - 13 of 13 Posts