Below Deck Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by northbayangler, Aug 17, 2011.

1. northbayangler

northbayangler I Love microskiff.com!

Hello, I just purchased a new skiff and I anxious to make some customizations.  The skiff is a little back heavy in the water and I want to distribute the weight better by moving the fuel tank to the bow and below deck.  The cut-out opening is 21" x 12".  There is a depth of 10" at the center top of the opening to the hull floor.  I am a complete novice so please any advise, ideas, suggestions would be much appreciated.  If anyone does custom boat work feel free to send me a pm. The power is a 40hp Suzuki. 

http://photobucket.com/lifeimprovement

thanks - Markus

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Two things: 1) you MUST get some ventilation to that space and 2) don't put your battery up there.

3. northbayangler

Thanks for the tip. Can anyone recommend someone who builds custom fuel tanks?

4. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Custom tank = big money. Also you end up having to pretty much demolish the area getting it in place and then have to build over top.

Better idea is to get one of these new plastic tanks cut a little bigger hole and install a new hatch and also install some air vents in the vertical piece.

5. northbayangler

thanks, does anyone know someone who makes custom hatches or is it easy enough to DIY. How much does a custom 10 gal fuel tank go for?

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

No need for custom, just have to do your research on line.
    Plenty of injection molded/rotocast tanks available on line.
    Pick the one that fits your needs.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=marine+fuel+tanks&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2488l7541l0l7947l17l17l0l4l4l0l274l2970l0.2.11l13l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1262&bih=562&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

If you post where you live in your profile someone on here could probably steer you to a marine surplus store that would have everything you need.

8. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Anyone ever used a fuel blader?
    Seems like something like that would work well in this situation. However, those things are pricey?