Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Shame to see something like that. Headed there June 30 and wont be changing my plans at all. Can happen anywhere at anytime but certainly feel bad for the family and all the good fishing guides down there. Hopefully it doesn't hurt the community.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I am thinking there is more to the story than they were just "fly-fishing". A number of times are thrown around but some say they went at 10am and some say even as late at 1130a. Weird. Also lists multiple gun shot wounds to body and head, I have a hard time believing someone rolled by them shooting and hit both guys multiple times in the body and head. Then some outlets say the guide was behind the wheel in the fetal position and the Dr. was in the water. Again, odd. Rumor is fishing wasn't the first priority.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
When my son went into the Coast Guard I made a point of telling him that boats don’t even slow down incoming rounds... Your only defense is to be below the water line if you’re inside the boat or actually in the water.. The skiffs we all fish out of are bad places to be if someone is shooting at you.

More to say about this sort of stuff - but not on a public forum...

·
Banned
4,669 Posts

From the comments- Sick Ani: That‘s what happens as Karma to those who enjoy destroying wild life. So much fish already dead in the market and these guys go in the wild and kill more? This should happens to all humans who are hunters and destroyers of nature and wild life. Thank Karma!

If you are going somewhere with a State Department Travel Advisory Level 2 or higher practice common sense and take out travel insurance. At Level 3 just go somewhere else unless you have a local network in place. Travel Insurance with kidnapping coverage is a must in some places. Americans are a meal ticket for criminals in poorer countries. Period. Untraveled and Naive' people end up being being their victims. Not the prepared folks that know where NOT to go.
Just like Houston, San Frantonio or any major US city.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...s/traveladvisories/belizetravel-advisory.html

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
All you snowflakes better cancel all plans...
Seriously though, don’t let the media hype get to you. Live life and be happy. If you drive on the highway you are more at risk of being killed than fishing in a skiff anywhere.
That doesn't mean it isn't prudent to evaluate where you are going to take a fishing trip to spend your hard earned cash.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All you snowflakes better cancel all plans...
Seriously though, don’t let the media hype get to you. Live life and be happy. If you drive on the highway you are more at risk of being killed than fishing in a skiff anywhere.

Anyone have tickets to the Dominican Republic?

·
Brandon, FL
10,418 Posts
According to the stories someone attempted to kill him on Saturday. They finished the job on Sunday.

Definitely more to this story.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I took my wife to Belize and fished a little back in 2010 and we had two pretty bad incidents that made me definitely never want to take her back and likely never myself either.

One was with an off duty cop that got badly out of hand. This happened on a very nice resort and the other in San Pedro.

It is NOT worth the risk, not for my wife and the family that depends on me.

As for dangers I cities here, your right and I don’t put myself in bad positions therefore I don’t take huge risks.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had another article pop up on my suggested articles. Guess there were 5 other local fisherman shot last week there in Belize. Sounded drug related but if the cartels are that active in that area I would just assume find a new vacation spot.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts