Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im loving my Ankona skiff but I have a few dumb questions, first off what is the point of being able to select different idles on the 40 tohatsu I just discovered that today and not sure why I’d need that. Second is I’m having issues with my trailer I have to get sooo deep to launch it and even worse recover, it’s a regular continental trailer not sure how I could make it easier especially that swinging arm that goes under the bow I have to almost get out of the water to get it on that. And lastly today is the first time I’ve had this issue but I go to run it and normally at 5500 rpm I’m getting 31-32 by my self no tabs. Today I couldn’t get over 21 granted water was very rough so idk if that had anything to do with it. But it’s a brand new motor and I havnt had any issues at all until today and I’ve taken it out atleast 20-30 times since I’ve gotten it any ideas? Or just user error

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Pics of trailer? I’m sure it’s jacked way up as almost boats come with very high trailers. Boat needs to sit between wheels, not over them. 33% loss in speed sounds like a motor issue or you are dragging the trailer with the boat. How was running attitude of boat? Tabs pushing bow down too far? Pretty hard to steer if so, but asking anyways.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Id probably say its too high, dont have a picture of it but ill definitely take a look at that and post a pic when i can. and definitely not dragging the trailer. i tried both with the tabs down and up, id plane but it'd be hard to plane with the waves.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I loved the adjustable idles. When your around the dock or in idle zones like on the river with alot of people it was nice to change it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the 50hp Tohatsu with the adjustable idle feature. Each “press” of the ignition switch increases the RPMs by about 200....which in turn increases the speed of the skiff. I find it useful when trolling lures ....going from spot to spot. I actually pick up a decent amount of fish by doing this.

As far as your loss of speed...I can relate a dumb-ass move I made. I couldn’t get my skiff up-to-speed that I’m use to running. My skiff runs good at about 28mph....but I could only get to 23mph or so. Turns out I had inadvertently bumped my bait pump switch with my knee....filling the bait well with water. I only figured out what was happening when I noticed water flowing from the hatch. SMH

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect good to know about both the idle switch and trailer. As far as speed I checked the switches and live well, but I did back up in the shitty weather so maybe it filled up cuz when I got home it was full, but it did rain on the way home and the bilge never kicked on on the water. It was running at 22mph at about 5300-5400 rpm. Im thinking spun prop that seems the most likely to me. but ill have to put the ticker marks to check it next time I go out.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So as far as the speed...I think it was the weather or something cuz I ran it last night and ran like a top...probably user error in that rough water. I bought liquid bunks to help get it slicker I just still think I have to get soo deep to get it off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok new info on the boat issue, I took it out in rough weather and wouldn't accelerate like I said, next day took it out with a buddy and ran like a top, yesterday took its out glass calm, had the same issue for 30-45min and when it got to 4k rpm it'd jump up with no extra acceleration. on the way back to the ramp for what ever reason I deployed tabs all the way down and it accelerated fine, and after that it ran perfect the rest of the day tabs or no tabs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts