Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for any suggestions and thoughts on a good fly combo for my son ... hes 13 and will be predominantly fishing for red ... maybe occasional others... id prefer to keep it at or under the 100$ mark... just looking for some 1st hand input ... thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just looked online and found an 8wt Redington Crosswater combo for $169.

It’s a solid setup, my son bought one as a teen (8 years ago), the reel was finally replaced after 5+ years of heavy use and zero care. The rod is still used on occasion.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
TFO all the way. I started my son with a TFO Pro II and it’s great. He’s now in love with my Axiom 2 8wt so I may not have it long! For a youngster, it’s great to have there no fault warranty. Usually can have a new rod in hand in under a week!
Best,
Matt

Reactions: TX_Brad

·
Registered
7 Posts
When my son started fly fishing, we started hunting the used for sale rod and reels with the thought that when he goes off to school I will have them as back ups:D

We do have two Behemoths that get used out of kayaks for the last year that are in great shape

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
TFO is trash. I got the following for my 8 y/o now 10. Redington Minnow Youth Outfit 5WT Fishing Rod 8 Inch
I'm not sure what TFO stuff you base this on but I've fished everything from Loomis, Sage, to Cabelas high end custom made rods, etc and with TFO hiring the best in the business to design rods, can honestly say they are well worth the money. Redington has always been way cheaper than most of what TFO makes and from my experience casting them in salt, it's not much of a comparison. Each to his own.
Best,
Matt

·
Registered
252 Posts
I’d be TFO all the way, the warranty -and the prompt turnaround in the warranty has me sold. I have 4 of their rods from 5-8wt.

For a $100 combo, though, I’d start with Redington....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Echo Base with a redington behemoth. I’ve dropped those reels on solid concrete several times and just a light scratch. Very durable, cost effective, and a solid setup
I second this. The Echo Base is a solid rod and the behemoth is a better reel than what the base kit comes with, but you could also spring for the base kit knowing that you'll likely upgrade the reel at some point anyhow.

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echobasekit/

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
223 Posts
My first saltwater combo was a orvis encounter 8 wt, nice set up to learn on and it’ll get the job done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts