Beginner Camera

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by Austin_Boudreaux, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Austin_Boudreaux

Austin_Boudreaux I Love microskiff.com!

As the title states looking to purchase a beginner camera to bring on the boat, take outdoor shots, and to bring on vacations. Have done some research but am still bewildered by all the tech lingo. Can anybody give some recs on a easy to use camera for someone looking to take a step up from iphone pics?

Mirrorless or DSLR? I have handled a friend's Sony a500 and seemed pretty user friendly. Does the DSLR have advantages for outdoor photography?

Trying to stay on the lower end of price range and am open to refurb or used. Should I shop Ebay? B&H?

2. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

PM zhomas, he may be able to give you some solid advice.

3. Zika

Zika I Love microskiff.com!

Wouldn't recommend eBay for a used camera. Just don't know what's happened before you got it. B&H is excellent, however. All are checked out and they are a great company. Many pre-owned are barely-used trade-ins from customers who constantly upgrade to the latest/greatest.

I use two Canons for work--a EOS 40D with zoom lens and a Canon G15 compact 35mm. The G15 gets the nod most of the time since it's compact, takes great shots, has full controls and can shoot RAW. Fixed zoom lens (6.1 to 30.5mm), but most of the shots are tight anyway. Not ideal for panoramic nature shots, though. Check B&H to see if they have any older versions like the G10/11. I also have a polarizing filter and waterproof case for it so it takes great above and below the surface underwater shots sealed in the case. If you're looking for something simple, Canon and Olympus makes some compact fully waterproof point-and-shoots too.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    yobata likes this.
  4. Zika

Zika I Love microskiff.com!

Just checked B&H Used and they don't have any pre-owned G-series cameras. Popular item. The others they do have are fairly pricey. Might be worth a call or two to some local camera stores to see if they have any trade-ins.

Good luck with your upgrade.

5. Austin_Boudreaux

Austin_Boudreaux I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks. Ill probably keep checking B&H for some used equipment and use the wait time to do more research.

6. YnR

YnR I Love microskiff.com!

The line b.w mirrorless and SLR are getting increasingly blurred. SLR is starting to lose its edge, especially in the enthusiast/semi-pro range. I love DSLRs but they're bigger (not always a negative) and they are getting crammed with video features (which I don't really care about at the moment). If you need something that takes nice pics but want something that's portable without the need for switching lenses then you probably want to go mirrorless. If you want total control including an endless option for different lenses and don't mind carrying the extra gear, you could go either way and do well.

I have a Canon 60D. Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's very versatile and really like the swinging LCD screen. Major drawbacks are it's poor dynamic range at high ISO and really poor autofocus in LiveView.

If I were to go DSLR, I'd take a look at some of the midrange Nikons or Canon D80. They're easy enough to use but allow your skills to grow without having to get a new body. If you want to mirrorless Sony seems to be leading the pack.

7. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

Interesting position you are in but I'll throw in a couple of points. I do buy from B&H and Adorama but for used stuff, you have to check KEH camera. Largest used camera folks on the net and I've been a customer for years. Everything I've purchased is in better condition than they rate it.

Second, while you have seen pics and think I'd like to do that, you will not get that pic if you don't have the camera with you. So think about that a lot ie, size and how much $$ you have invested. Better not to have the latest and greatest if you worry about having it your skiff and/or thrown in the back seat of your Jeep.

So my vote is.......wait. I own Canon, Nikon, Sony and Olympus stuff and pretty much any Nikon or Canon less than 5 years old would be a good starting point. Most serious stuff I still use an old Canon 7d with some really nice Canon "L" lenses. However several of our print ads and web pics were shot with an old Canon T2 body and an old kit lens. Only because the camera goes everywhere and if I drop it overboard, who cares. Probably not worth $200.

If we are out be be a bit more serious on the water I use a Sony A6300, with a Metabones adapter which flawlessly lets me use my Canon "L"'s. If I had to only have 1 camera, it would be the Sony but its not what I would think of as a starter camera. As a plus the 4K video is outstanding.

Starter wise, I'd look at the Canon SL-2 or say the Nikon D3400. Yes I have a SL-2 too because of the small size plus I'm pretty invested in Canon EF mount lenses (read not necessarily Canon brand).

Last camera everyone should have would be an Olympus Tough 3,4 or the new 5 (or other brand equal). Always in the tackle box replacing my old Nikon AW110. Waterproof to 55', drop resistant and takes some amazing pics! Even the add on telephoto lens is waterproof too! I wonder how the new Nikon AW would stack up.

Hope this helps!

8. YnR

YnR I Love microskiff.com!

Would you say the A6300 with a Canon lens is as quick and crisp (i.e. doesn't search) with the AF, especially in low light?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  9. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

With most of the Canon "L" its at least as fast if not faster than the native Sony lenses. No search at all. Now I use the most expensive Metabones, it cost more than a lens. I'm not a fan so far of the native sony lenses (and I have several) at all but I've not purchases any of the top drawer Sony's either.

Now I've been using the newer SL-2 Canon and it searchers more with the older "L" 's than the Sony with the Metabones. Go figure...

10. Tommysmicroskiff

Tommysmicroskiff I Love microskiff.com!

You mat want to consider an Ikelite case !!! To protect what ever you get ... Taking it in and out of a pelican is a huge hassle ! And if you do get a pelican test it in a pool !!! I had a new pelican ruin a camera and pelican told me to go pound sand ...