Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm experiencing a lot of porpoising, I have my motor trimmed all the way down, jack plate at setting 3.5. Typically it's just me so most.of the boat weight is in the back. What am I doing wrong?

BTV 2021, 115 Yamaha,

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Are you sure your trim tabs are staying down? Is the porpoising all the time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been experimenting with the trim tabs. (Pretty sure they are staying down). I just though that trimming the motor would suffice without getting the trim tabs involved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been experimenting with the trim tabs. (Pretty sure they are staying down). I just though that trimming the motor would suffice without getting the trim tabs involved.
Your trim tabs shouldn't be the problem. Those really keep your boat from listing side to side when you are up and running. I had the same issues when I first got my Vengeance but I've since learned the sweet spot with the motor tilt and jack plate position.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, it seems to do it even on flat water. Can you share your sweet spot with the motor trim and jack plate. I was told by the owner. Run with jackplate between 3-4 and tuck the motor down to one bar.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Here is how I get top speed in my skiff.
1) No tabs, motor all the way down
2) trim up motor to gain speed
3) when skiff starts porpoising tab down
Following those steps you should be able to reach your max speed w/o porpoising
4) I do not have a jack plate

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I run a 2021 vengeance with pro XS115, I often have my family of four on board which includes 3 dudes who weigh 200+ that usually requires a fair amount of trim tab in order for the boat to run good. When out fishing with a buddy not so much tab. You are correct in running with motor tucked down but you need to add trim tab with weight for stability and I run more depth on the jack plate with more chop. The only porpoising I recall was running the boat flat out by myself. A skiff with a jack plate has a-lot of variables so experimenting for your preferences requires some practice. I recently ran my Vengeance with some friends on the Eastern Shore of VA and they couldn't believe how well that boat runs through slop. The boat is designed to run with the centerline of the boat in the water (some tab) and Beavertail props it right. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
621 Posts
The tabs are a flight control, for a lack of a better term. Tabs will do a lot of stuff to stabilize your skiff laterally or longitudinally. Based on your description I would touch my tabs and “trim“ them (tap) simultaneously until your porpoise stops. If you went too far and dug the nose, then ”trim” it back. Don’t run your tabs with a continuous push, tap them until you get the results you need. No different than when you are trimming to avoid wind or cross wind splash.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I switched out my tab controls on my new EVO this week, sounds like you could benefit from this. It’s plug & play. I found mine on EBay for 280$. My local dealer told me to find them on EBay (easier to get) and they installed it….took about 30 minute. It has some cool features like automatically raising trim tabs up fully when you turn the power off. My EVO is tab sensitiv, so this little addition should help.

Communication Device Font Audio equipment Gadget Auto part

·
Registered
64 Posts
Different boat but similar enough that this might help. I run a Mosquito and Ive found that the boat really likes a neutral trim no matter the situation - jumping up, running etc. It likes trim tabs down only for getting on plain but once up and running I put tabs all the way up. Lastly, the boat likes to be run with jack plate all the way down.. So, neutral trim, jack plate all the way down, tabs only for getting on plain (or tiny adjusmtents for balancing), no issues doing it that way, also fastest speeds and best gas mileage for that hull.

·
Registered
2018 BT Mosquito
40 Posts
Different boat but similar enough that this might help. I run a Mosquito and Ive found that the boat really likes a neutral trim no matter the situation - jumping up, running etc. It likes trim tabs down only for getting on plain but once up and running I put tabs all the way up. Lastly, the boat likes to be run with jack plate all the way down.. So, neutral trim, jack plate all the way down, tabs only for getting on plain (or tiny adjusmtents for balancing), no issues doing it that way, also fastest speeds and best gas mileage for that hull.
I recently purchased a Mosquito and will try this method. It’s been a challenge since I am unfamiliar with using a jackplate.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts