Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a used B2 and was trying to get some input on the transom in the photo. The current owner has had the boat for 3 years and said the transom looked like this when he bought it. Is this how all of the older beaver tails look with that overlay looking piece? Or does it look like this transom was previously repaired?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looking at buying a used B2 and was trying to get some input on the transom in the photo. The current owner has had the boat for 3 years and said the transom looked like this when he bought it. Is this how all of the older beaver tails look with that overlay looking piece? Or does it look like this transom was previously repaired?
Looks to me like some work has been performed. Perhaps nonstructural but some cosmetic work at min. Perhaps no biggie but good to post and ask

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Some guys, as a precautionary measure, will add extra backing to the place on the transom that the motor bolts to... I've seen transoms on older skiffs that should have had the extra backing plates since you could see where the nuts and washers were sinking into the transom over time....

If you suspect a weak or compromised transom have it looked at by a good glass man or shop... If the seller balks (you're going to be the one paying the shop or expert if needed... not the seller...) then walk away.... Lots of rigs around with solid transoms...

Not certain, but I believe I've seen that style of backing plate offered as an option on rigs with jackplates (maybe Bob's Machine Shop rigs?). If someone else who knows where those reinforcing plates came from (what outfit made them...) please chime in...

Just took a closer look at the second photo and it shows a substantial jack plate (which may be all the explanation needed...).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
My 2007 had lines in the inside corners of the splash well but not on the top. That piece is an insert, so not really part of the structure per se. Boats with an slot transom should be inherently stronger than a straight transom but what do I know.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
As Sublime said.
E4C1DF6A-FB2F-47E5-9D27-24034FA5071A.png
That is an insert. It is not the transom. However due the sharp inside radius. The thin layup insert will crack. Someone did some crappy coverup on it. Beavertail quickly changed the design on the insert to a large radius. Here is the new design. Doing this to mine just for cosmetic reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts