Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at purchasing a Beavertail (B2?) in my area and it appears to be one of the hulls that Beavertail splashed from the HB Waterman hull.

My question is this: Can the Beavertail hull be considered to perform as good as a Waterman?

Any Beavertail/Waterman owners feel free to chime in.

Points of interest would be:

1. Is the hull and wetted/running surface the exact same as a Waterman?

2. Are the materials used in construction similar quality as what HB was using to build their early Watermans?

3. It is clear to me that the fit and finish of the Beavertail build is not as nice as HB, but this could be overcome by rebuilding the deck/ refinishing the boat after purchase.

4. Post your performance numbers (speed/gph/mpg/draft/hull weight) so that we could compare apples to apples.

As soon as I figure out how to post pics here I will add some.

//Langdon

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I own an 06 B2 if not the first with rear hatches. The hull might be a little different at transom area. But basically the same. Materials are vinylester, foam core of some sort. Vacuum infused resin construction. Plexus used to bond some areas. Not sure of glass schedule. Numbers. Don’t know, never check. Fast enough, shallow enough, dry enough, holeshot quick enough. Prop dependent of course. Rides great. Fit and finish is good and great for the price.

·
Registered
369 Posts
1. Very close. The hull was taken off a 16 waterman and the sponsons were then added. They are a little fuller so the prob add some floatation.
2. I don’t know the specifics on materials but would say they prob used less racy materials. The difference in performance prob isn’t that great.
3. Agree, fit and finish won’t be as nice, but by no means is it too bad. A little work could make it nice. Maybe clean up wiring a little as well.
4. My buddy has a B2 with a jack plate and an etec 60. Runs 35/36. That with a 70 would go a little quicker. The hull runs really shallow with the jack plate too.

I would say it fishes prob as well or very close to an 18 waterman. Few things not as fancy, but they’re very hard to beat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I own a 2006 B2 with a 60 Etec, jack plate, 4-bladed cupped prop and trim tabs. Great hole shot and I usually run it no more than 30 mph. The boat runs pretty dry, but like an earlier poster said, if you come off plane quickly you will get water over the sponsons. Mine does not have the hatches in the sponsons (just as well as they would probably be very wet) so storage space is at a premium. I fly fish so I plugged the openings in the under-seat bait well and converted it to dry storage. I love the skiff.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Water over sponsons is not a big deal. I come off plane slowly or when shallow trim motor high as you throttle down. Boat just glides in.
Rear hatches don’t get any more water in them than the other hatch’s. They removed them to gain more flotation. Pass coast guard test for floating level if sunk. It’s a hard boat to beat for the money and looks good too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts