Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to posting this, mainly since I just got a chance to run her for the first time.

Late last year I decided it was time to move to another skiff.  My scooter had served me well, but I wanted something with more range, more comfort, and was primarily design for shallow water fly fishing.  I'd admired and studied other skiffs for some time.  Of course, the top builders, like Hells Bay, Beavertail and others were boats I knew, but I started doing substantial research.  I'm a gear head - I research and analyze everything I buy before I pull the trigger.  I had a budget in mind, with a high and low end with known concessions in mind.  The Texas coast offers many different fishing opportunities:  skinny water marsh for tailing reds, open bays for jacks, macks, and ladyfish, near shore fishing for beach run reds, and let's not forget to mention tarpon.

A boat that does all of that is a tall order to find.  Also, I have an 18' Kenner center console that I primarily use on the lakes here for whites, stripers, blacks bass and carp, but also is a great boat for the beach side.  A restore was on the road map for this boat, so I needed to consider the cost of it as well, along with the fact that what the skiff couldn't do, the Kenner could.

I considered several different options, new and used.  New I was considering a Beavertail Strike, but then they came out with the Micro.  I had a chance to take a ride in a Strike and really liked it, but wanted a chance to the Micro in person.

A few other builders had been eliminated for different reasons - owner feedback, style of boat, cost, etc.  I also considered finding a good solid used boat.  There was a HB I was very interested in, but when it all added up, I needed to maximize my spending power to get the best performing boat for my needs.

That would up being this 2006 Beavertail B2.

I had heard about this boat through an acquaintance whose friend was going to sell it in a few months.  It wasn't actively listed, so I kept in contact with him while I searched and considered other boats.  After I tested a few, we finally got a chance to meet up and take this for a spin.  It performed beyond my expectations.  The deposit was made and we finalized the deal.

Beyond how much I liked the B2, I also had a restore on my mind for my Kenner center console.  You guys know how much restores run.  The price point of the B2 allowed me to also do my Kenner restore as well with some key upgrades.  That is in progress now (I'll make a post for that soon).

This is a late 2006 model without the rear hatches.  It has a 2006 E-Tec with 180 hours on it.  The boat was stored inside, so there is little no weathering or fading.  The previous owner was the first and sole owner, and maintenance done here in Austin, so I was able to verify service history at the shop.

One of the best things I didn't even consider until I got it was that it fits in my garage, which is a huge plus.  Talk about motivation - coming home and opening the garage hasn't got old yet.

First time running at the coast was good - it doesn't run as shallow as previous boat (tunnel scooter with jack plate), but it will pole about an inch shallower.  It is also dead quiet, unless you have chop coming at the stern, hitting between the sponsons.

It turns on a dime and rides a nice rail without skating.  I haven't experienced any cavitation yet, even with the plate all the way up.  It's mounted on the second hole from top but I think I could raise it one more.

Here is the list of upgrades I'd like to do:
  • under the gunnel lighting
  • better GPS mount
  • tower puck-style stern light mounted to the poling platform
  • raising the trailer - it barely clears my driveway, plus I can't clear a spot where I like to launch from the shore
  • hole repair where the trolling motor used to go - I ditched it
  • toe rails - not convinced for or against, but the line does tend to shoot off the bow with strong winds, which is common here
  • more effective cav plate - the one on there doesn't seem that effective - I want one that extends towards the stern, providing more lift and channeling of the water
And I'm sure I'll think of more.

I'll post a few more thoughts in here when I get a chance.  Specifically, around the water pressure, prop and sponsons.

Thanks to all who I had PM's with during my search - I received great feedback from people, and was able to do the same in some cases.

·
Living & Dying in 3/4 Time
2,558 Posts
[smiley=1-thumbsup1.gif]

Very nice groves! Keep us updated on the progress. I'd love to see it in person sometime, when we fishin?

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,281 Posts
That is a nice looking boat. That's why you buy used, everything is already on the boat including Seadeck

Cool boat

Look for Bob's Machine to get the stabilizer ;)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was considering redoing mine with awlgrip or back with seadek (maybe different design though). Haven't decided. If you do, would like to see how it turns out.
I was told that SeaDek still has the pattern for the design on these. Installation however, is another story. That is good to know though - mine is in really good condition. It is much nicer on the feet than bare hull with no slip.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sweet boat.  how shallow do you think it will pole?
These boats need to be balanced correctly to get the least amount of foot print in the water. Without anyone in it, the stern does squat, but as soon as you get someone on the nose, the stern will rise up 3 inches.

I measured poling depth at 6". Anything less and it dragged. That was with two guys, 175 and 200 lbs. Just myself on the nose is a 4" draft. Without anyone in the boat, it drafts about 8" at the stern. This is measured, btw, not guestimates.

My previous boat was 7" poling draft, but also much heavier and no exactly stealthy. But she could run in 5" if you needer her to. The B2 will not, though I was impressed with how shallow she did run, I just wasn't used to her enough to push the limits.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really like the performance of my B2.

Can you show some up-close pics of your GPS mount?  I've been trying to figure out a better way to mount mine.  Hate using the Ram mount.
Only if you take me out in the Nawlins marsh and show me around. Sure, I'll grab one. It isn't ideal, but the previous owner didn't want to put any holes in the console. I was thinking of the Ram mount. What don't you like about it? And what are the other options?

·
Dieu et les Dames
449 Posts
The RAM mount is the way to go on a side console. I have a flush mount console so I didn't have many options when I wanted to mount my Garmin. The RAM mount only requires a few holes drilled. I really like it cause it is super simple yet is extremely strong.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I called seadek about my osprey. But they didnt have the patterns  but might still have them for the b2.i was thinking about using a large piece of hydro turf in front of the center console but im not sure yet.

What under gunnel lights?im trying to have that done on mine also but the cost is adding up.i have the puck light on my poling platform but doesnt work at the moment.hopefully its just wiring.im gonna take a long look at what i can do tomorrow opposed to what i have to pay the boys that are working on mine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Coconut Groves,
Let me know if you can make it over here. Are you in the Galveston area?
I don't like the ram mount I have because it doesn't hold my GPS well. Get in a little rough water and it moves a lot. Enough to where you can't see it... As in it falls basically. And this is a brand new mount. My second one. Maybe the big beefy mount will work better (not ball mount). Or maybe the big ball mount if it'll fit your GPS.

·
HB Whipray 16
586 Posts
Great looking skiff and from reading your posts, I'm sure it will get a lot of use. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Coconut Groves,
Let me know if you can make it over here. Are you in the Galveston area?
I don't like the ram mount I have because it doesn't hold my GPS well. Get in a little rough water and it moves a lot. Enough to where you can't see it... As in it falls basically. And this is a brand new mount. My second one. Maybe the big beefy mount will work better (not ball mount). Or maybe the big ball mount if it'll fit your GPS.
I am in Austin and fish up and down the coast.  I don't make it to Galveston much, but would like to learn it a bit more. 

Here are some closer up shots of the GPS mount.  I am looking at alternatives myself, including just powder coating this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It may not look as good to some as the small ball ram mount, but I imagine it works much better! There is an add on you can bolt to your console that is basically a table that goes in front of the console. You can mount the GPS to it, but it's like $120 or so and won't mount it that high. Also, I'm not sure if it'll get in the way of getting rods out of the rod holders. On the plus side, you can use it for other stuff too.

·
Dieu et les Dames
449 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it! But maybe just powder coat it white. I'm guessing they made it an L so it didn't swing from side to side.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts