Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner of our 2006 B2 disconnected the livewell pump wires and plugged the intake to turn the livewell into additional dry storage. I like having the extra storage, but would like to get everything reconnected so that we have the option to use the livewell if needed for the kids or to put a couple redfish in for a tournament. I have done a little investigation, but not much. From what I can tell there are 3 pumps (I think) associated with the system, one for filling livewell, one for re-circulating water, and one for draining. It has been a while since I looked, so it may only be 2 pumps (I can't remember). Can someone who has an older B2 give me some insight please?

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail Skiffs B2
84 Posts
There are two pumps

1. Fill
2. Recirc

There is an overflow which flows out of the port side as water level reaches the pipe. This is automatic and no pump is needed.

I have mine rigged with a high speed pickup so that it can collect water while on plane. In addition to this, I have un-wired, or removed the function from my re-circ pump. It still is connected, however since I have the HSP and I don't run back and forth between fresh and salt at any point, I see no need for it.

I put a strainer in the overflow hole to keep MMs and shrimp from swimming out of the overflow, but when i have pogies or big mullets i dont use the strainer because it can get clogged with poop/foam. When the bait calms down after a while, I put the strainer back in ebcasue they are pooping less and a big flat pogy can get sucked to the overflow, and cause the tank to overfill and spill over the gutters into the boat.

In my opinion, the downfall of our livewell setups is that they drain to the splashwell. In a better setup it would drain straight overboard. That way it does not require the use of the bilge pump to fully remove the water from the boat.

Thanks,

Langdon

PS>>> probably need to recaulk the inner upper lip of the livewll because underway it can splash into the compartments if the seam is not sealed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This is exactly the info I was looking for! I appreciate it very much. I just got done reading the 6 page thread on your refurb earlier today and it prompted me to post. I will eventually be replacing the seadek on our skiff too and love the colors you used. Did you replace the latches on your back hatches or were they like that when you bought it? Ours still has the half plastic half metal ones.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is exactly the info I was looking for! I appreciate it very much. I just got done reading the 6 page thread on your refurb earlier today and it prompted me to post. I will eventually be replacing the seadek on our skiff too and love the colors you used. Did you replace the latches on your back hatches or were they like that when you bought it? Ours still has the half plastic half metal ones.

I replaced with some nice gemlux latches. Way better than the crappy plastic ones. My plastic ones were corroded and didnt turn. The gemlux ones are a pretty penny but I was able to snag mine for free.99.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I replaced with some nice gemlux latches. Way better than the crappy plastic ones. My plastic ones were corroded and didnt turn. The gemlux ones are a pretty penny but I was able to snag mine for free.99.

Thanks
What model did you end up with from gemlux? I am thinking of putting compression on my B2, but curious if you went that way and found the install easy.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw some for sale on the classifieds that I was thinking about getting, but wasn't sure if they were the right model or not.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What model did you end up with from gemlux? I am thinking of putting compression on my B2, but curious if you went that way and found the install easy.
Compression. 2" I think. measure before you buy anything.

Install was slightly annoying, due to huge corrosion and had to grind off one of the metal levers to actually release it.

I kept the plastic spacers from my old latches and used them to make the gemluxes work. ill see if i have pics later.

other than that its pretty easy, just have to fiddle with the height until it is right for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts