Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Yes. I have one of the first from 2006 if not the first. When I ordered my boat, it was the B1 and I was informed during build I would be getting the B2. I’m told it is a Hells bay copy and a pretty good one. What else? It is built well, performs well and came with a great price. That’s why I had it so long. Is it perfect? No. What boats are. Structurally it is very sound. I have a few cosmetic repairs needed in the cockpit. Hull and deck are like new.

And the fiberglass was done by this company.
http://www.carstensindustries.com/

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
I’ve heard 3 different but similar stories about it. Two of them first hand from very prominent people in the skiff industry who were involved in the legal battle. I’m not going to rehash the details here as it is way too long and complicated and I’m sure I will miss something. In any event, the B2 is a splashed HB Waterman. It is built well and performs just like you would expect a Waterman to drive, ride and pole. I fished one for a year and liked it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As with anything, there are always two sides to a story and the louder of the two writes the history. Mark and Dic made plenty of changes to the B2 and it still is a great boat...but it wasn't finished in the same way HB was. They were trying to hit the segment of the market HB was missing and did. So HB went after them, a settlement was made, and the two branches of the business were sold. Now Dic gets to weld duck boats and refurbishes old hulls (what he wanted to do all along), and Mark gets to solo fish every day during Tarpon season in his spotless B2. I have my own opinions on who I think won that deal.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,100 Posts
As with anything, there are always two sides to a story and the louder of the two writes the history. Mark and Dic made plenty of changes to the B2 and it still is a great boat...but it wasn't finished in the same way HB was. They were trying to hit the segment of the market HB was missing and did. So HB went after them, a settlement was made, and the two branches of the business were sold. Now Dic gets to weld duck boats and refurbishes old hulls (what he wanted to do all along), and Mark gets to solo fish every day during Tarpon season in his spotless B2. I have my own opinions on who I think won that deal.
Mark can fill you in on the OLD BT line. check out the Beavertail owners website & you can contact him there. I had a B2 & it was an absolute joy to fish out of & pole. It was a little iffy in the 2-3's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts