Bearing covers

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by jgregory01, Jul 6, 2010.

1. jgregory01

jgregory01 I Love microskiff.com!

I have a trailer for a 16ft boat and it came with those cheap black plastic bearing covers. You know...the ones that slide over then fall off while youre driving. My question is are they really that important? My friend doesnt use them and says not to worry. The grease is still in there and other than slinging out while driving its not really a problem. Thanks.

2. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Put some covers back on. It keeps grease in and water and sand out of the bearings.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I've never had mine fall off. I used alittle grease on them to keep them stuck in place. You can go without them, but I like my grease fittings clean.

4. jgregory01

I figured I should keep them on. I saw some that came with metal and the plastic cap. Not sure what the metal cap is for. If you can guess I am not an experience boat/trailer guy and Im learning about this as I go. My boat is good to go. Just trying to figure the trailer out. Thanks.

[​IMG]

5. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

Google "bearing buddy"   I have them on my trailer. Allows me to easily grease the bearings. Some people love them...a few hate them.  rich

6. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

love your bearings and they will love you back.

your friend is only been lucky so far.

I would suggest an rainy afternoon googling boat trailer bearings, they need good maintenance.

7. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Post a picture with the cap off. Most trailers come with a posi lube system. It is way better than bearing buddies. Lets see what you have.

8. jgregory01

Ok so I checked them out. They are bearing buddies I believe. Picture posted below. Now I just need to borrow a grease gun and make sure they are full of lube. Thanks for all the help.

[​IMG]

9. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

Yep bearing budding. You can buy the caps cheap. Just measure the diameter for the right size. The most common is the 19B cap. If you remove the bearing buddy check to see if you have a zerk fitting on the axle. If you do get rid of those and use it. Otherwise your on the money.

10. jgregory01

Got a grease gun this weekend and filled up the bearing buddies. Thanks for the help guys.

11. jgregory01

My fleet and one of the captains...

[​IMG]