Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a bean bag as a seat for passengers on your skiff? I’m wondering about size and brands.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go to walmart and get a "Big Joe" bean bag. They are <$45 bucks if I remember correctly. I also have a very expensive boat brand bean bag chair that was hundreds, and these are just as useful and comfy. What I like about the Big Joes is that they are smaller in size compared to many marine-specific made ones, and last as long as I need them to. I've only had to replace one in the past 3 years, and they do some heavy duty Bahamas trips on my offshore boat.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes, bean bag is the way to go. Since getting mine, nobody wants to sit on the cooler, especially if you are running in chop.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Bean bags are mandatory gear if you have the wife or kids on the boat with you IMHO.

·
Registered
982 Posts
For those of you who have had them, how was boat management? I primarily fly fish, would the bag be in the way?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
706 Posts
Of the marine-specific ones, the "small wedge" model has the smallest footprint — important in a skiff cockpit — and is still very comfortable, even for me at 6'0" and 220 lbs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
For those of you who have had them, how was boat management? I primarily fly fish, would the bag be in the way?
They are not an issue fly fishing. They are down in the cockpit. When I am in the cockpit landing a fish for someone, I throw mine on the back deck.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like the e-sea rider medium teardrop might be the one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Get the wedge, not the tear drop. The wedge had a much smaller footprint and actually provides back support. We do lots of Bahamas crossings, I bought wedges my friends bought teardrops. Guess who is always using mine? Lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
E sea rider has been great on my Key West 1520. Takes up some space but more than makes up for it by providing a comfortable spot for two and sometimes three. It’s going on 5+ years and I hose it off and it just keeps going. On another note, when the kids have had flu or other sickness and need rest but should have their heads/chests elevated the bean bag has been the go-to. My wife thought it was a waste at first but after seeing how well it works with sick kids she loves it.

Tear drop, not sure if it is medium or large.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
E sea rider has been great on my Key West 1520. Takes up some space but more than makes up for it by providing a comfortable spot for two and sometimes three. It’s going on 5+ years and I hose it off and it just keeps going. On another note, when the kids have had flu or other sickness and need rest but should have their heads/chests elevated the bean bag has been the go-to. My wife thought it was a waste at first but after seeing how well it works with sick kids she loves it.

What style did you go with?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought an E Sea Rider and color coordinated it to match my living room, you know, so I would have a convenient place to store it, they are surprisingly comfortable, now I don’t want to get it salty or dirty. I might have to get one just for the boat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts