Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a boat to specifically explore and fish the shallow water in Long Island, Bahamas. I have a larger boat that I can go offshore but it's tough to trailer and move around the island. I would like a boat I could take off the hitch at certain times and roll it across the beach and launch. I would think some of these boats that weigh 300 lbs could easily do that, especially if a third retractable tire by the hitch was placed. What is your experience with this? Can you push your boats around the yard? Can a Native SUV be moved around, Shadowcast? There are hundreds and hundreds of beaches but limited boat ramps. If it's not possible I would probably get a slightly larger micro. Thanks for your help. Kirk

B

·
0 Posts
While I have never “beach launched”, I think it is doable with most of the “microskiffs” that are out there. Of course this would depend on the person doing the launching, and setting the trailer up to do so.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
378 Posts
You might better think about how to make your tow vehicle able to back down to the water, pulling a 300lb (500lb in reality) boat plus trailer up out of the water and across soft sand would be a mighty task.
JC

B

·
0 Posts
You might better think about how to make your tow vehicle able to back down to the water, pulling a 300lb (500lb in reality) boat plus trailer up out of the water and across soft sand would be a mighty task.
JC
Winch it up and out! ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Put a hand crank winch on the closest tree/rock to pull the skiff up the beach/maybe a slip and slide ramp as well.?
I have alot of time spent over there, for what you want to do I would find the lightest most simplistic 14ft skiff with a front deck and poling tower as possible, maybe even a home built Mitchell or the like

·
Registered
324 Posts
I used to launch a Lazer sailboat from the beach by hand...boat weighed 130lbs and the dolly around 15 lbs. with balloon tires. I can't imagine unhooking a road worthy trailer capable of carrying a skiff down to the water across beach sand by hand. Even if you got it to the water, it surely would be a bear to get it out of the water and back up to the tow vehicle.
At 225lbs. and in pretty good shape at the time, I often wondered why I was doing this. :rolleyes:

edit: I'm think'n big fat tire'd, 4WD some'n or other!

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Waves can be a problem when beach launching but...
My dad had a little 12' aluminum and made brackets to hold a set of wheels to attach to the transom with only a single bolt and wing nut for each bracket. Then all you had to do is pick up the bow and roll it into the water.

He did it because our state likes to lock you out of the launch ramps up in the mountains right before winter snow which is the best time to fish and we have a few places close enough to the road to launch from.

Got waves?, then you have to get wet and pull it bow first into the water. Once afloat remove the bolt/wheels, reverse to take out of the water or run up on the beach, jump out and drag it out of the waves.

I always felt a little cramped and I like to be able to walk around a little bit when out on the water. I got a deal on a 14' aluminum commercial grade Sea Nymph which I tricked out with decking/ carpet and got my own set of wheels.

For the salt it got beach launched on our trips to Baja. Sorry, never thought to take any pics but I bet there are some somewhere on the net.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My guess is that it would be relatively easy to get it down the beach and into the water. Getting it back up the beach would be another thing entirely as it will get(seemingly) heavier every foot of travel.
All depends on how young and stout you are I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Removable beach wheels is a great idea. However, watching the video made me realize at 52 and getting older every day that beach launching anything larger than that would be a pain. Exactly the information I was looking for! So I got on google earth and checked out the island. Turns out there are tons of little ramps I can launch from that I had no idea existed not to mention most of the beaches I could probably find a way to get my 4 runner on. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
852 Posts
If going alone a SoloSkiff balanced on a C-Tug dolly should fill the bill for you. I haven’t needed them yet, but C-Tug makes a wider set of wheels for their dolly. I mostly trailer my SoloSkiff, and it’s easy to pull it part way off the trailer, strap the C-Tug to it, and tote it off. I’ve never tried it in mud or really loose sand though. If I recall correctly, the C-Tug is rated for 300 lbs. but at my age working off memory can be dangerous.....

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
There are a lot of good videos on YouTube of the guys in Australia doing beach launch and recovery. Getting the truck out of the sand seems to be just as challenging.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I like the Marsh Hen that was posted. I travel to many places that don't have ramps. Last year I purchased a folding boat and I have been happy with it. If you can get a trailer to the water like you said with the small ramps you found on Google I would go with that option. If you find you can't use the ramps a folding boat might work for you. Mine has detachable wheels to get the boat from car to water that I purchased from the manufacturer. On most flats I stand in the bow or sit in the front seat and use a kayak paddle for propulsion, works pretty well and hull slap is not bad. Good luck with your decision!

·
Carpe Diem
1,705 Posts
I've beach launched a lot of sailboats, and even with a balloon tire trailer and two strong men, even a fairly light boat can be quite a chore. If you're thinking of beach launching an outboard skiff from a road worthy trailer, your best option is to use a 4wd vehicle with appropriate tires. Maybe since you're on Long Island in the Bahamas, something like this would be appropriate:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Up here in the panhandle of Florida, in Walton county, many people launch their center consoles right off the beach in Grayton Beach. But they all use 4 wheel drives. Also, launching off the beach is pretty standard in Australia. So it can definitely be done.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
In Costa Rica the guide I hired pushed his 20 ft+ panga off the trailer and onto a couple of logs. He used two logs to roll the boat down to the water. This wasn't a small or flat beach, so that made it more impressive. Not saying this is a great method but when it was all said and done he had a system that worked well. Necessity is the mother of invention.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts