Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just watched the first of a series of documentaries on the fight to restore the 'glades (and I'm deliberately posting this on the General Discussion board since I think the widest dissemination of this 30 minute PBS presentation is the best thing that could happen...). Folks like me that pay close attention to environmental issues aren't enough to get much done.. We need as many folks from every side of every facet of politics to pay attention - that's why I'm up on my soapbox again....

In short, this first episode is about the big lake (and Apopka and the Kissimmee River), a bit about the history -particularly the tragedy in 1928 that killed so many (this is the first time I've ever heard that the toll back then was somewhere around 3800 killed in one night...). It also is an update on some of the many projects underway to begin to fix the problems that have been caused these past 80 years - and at this end of the tale... seem almost too big to fix...

At any rate, look for this program on your local PBS channel wherever you are and make a point of watching -it's that good.. It not only details the challenges - it also shows individual projects that are succeeding... I figure we need a bit of good news to go with all the troubles we certainly know about...

I've already recorded the second episode - but please make a point of watching when you can... Each episode will be titled Battleground Everglades. Look for it, you won't be disappointed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
104 Posts
Thanks for the link also, I watch quite a bit of you tube on my tv's.
Just in case, in Texas its on Spectrum Feb 3 on KLRUQ channel 20 at 7:30 am.
You can record the series.

Ps I've been enjoying a series about a motorcyclist riding around the world on a ktm called races 2 places. Very entertaining, wish we had one about fly rods.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks Bob!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts