Battery or wiring help

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Dudeitsmattx, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Dudeitsmattx

Dudeitsmattx 16' Dolphin Renagade Tiller Kevlar

So I have a battery switch thing on my boat. I have always been able to start and run the motor off selection 1 or selection 2. Well for some reason Sunday when I took the boat out I put it on battery 2 and it would not start the motor it just made a funny noise. I also notice that now on battery 2 the trim/tilt is the opposite now "so the up button puts the motor down, while the down button brings the motor up". But on battery 1 it works like normal.. Also same thing with the trolling motor. When I turn it to go forward it goes in reverse and I have to turn it to reverse to go forward.

Any help would be great thanks!!

2. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

switch batteries and see what happens

me thinks u need new battery

3. HaMm3r

HaMm3r Well-Known Member

Bypass the switch and see what happens with each battery. Could be a bad switch.

4. Dudeitsmattx

I will put a different battery in spot 2 first and see what happens. If that does not change anything I will try and bypass the switch box.

5. GSSF

GSSF I love my microskiff

Mine did this exact same thing. Both my batts were at a full charge...... Ended up being the positive cable on batt 2 was corroded under the wire insulation. I found this out cause the wire was hot after trying to crank the motor on batt 2 and it barely turning it over.

Replaced the red wire with new #4 wire, new copper connector, some shrink seal over the connection, and boom. Fixed.

Good luck

6. Dudeitsmattx

Good info! This will be my plan B now then last would be the switch box.

7. Dudeitsmattx

Well I got it working. I feel stupid now. Turns out I had the battery in a different way then normal so the battery cables were switched around causing the problems.