Battery life for Stereo on Highsider

Discussion in 'Power it up with Electronics' started by AfterHours2, Oct 31, 2011.

1. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

I plan on adding a small stereo setup to my highsider and I have no means of charging a battery with my outboard. My main question is how long would a small to medium sized battery last running this for a few hours a trip last. Of course I would be removing for recharge when I get home but just do not want to go through the hassle of installing everything if it will not run it for a period of atleast 2 hours or so. Thx

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Check the fuse rating of the stereo's power supply.
    That would be the absolute maximum draw in amp/hours.
    From that you can figure how long you can power the stereo from your battery's amp/hour rating.

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Small as in a head unit and 2 speakers? I remember back in the day we used to have ghetto setups (head unit with a few speakers hooked to a car battery sitting on the floor). On a charge I seem to remember them lasting all day no problem.

4. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Yeah nothing too crazy, just a simple head unit with 2 speakers should be sufficient. I'm trying to stuff it all into the center box so the battery would not be a large one. I wonder if I could get away with using a small pwc/motorcycle battery. That would be ideal if possible...