Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good recommendation for a battery that will both be used for cranking my motor (Yamaha 20 HP electric start) and a fishfinder? Boat also has power tilt/trim.

It currently has an Interstate 24M-HD 500 CCA that came with it. Any others I should look at?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Before you go looking... You might make a point of checking with your dealer about exactly what size battery they recommend for your motor. Start there first for the best outcome...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before you go looking... You might make a point of checking with your dealer about exactly what size battery they recommend for your motor. Start there first for the best outcome...
From what I have found, Yamaha recommends 245 CCA and best fit is a DP24.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,239 Posts
I'm a big fan of Odyssey batteries. Calculate your electrical load in amps, start sizing accordingly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,239 Posts
I'm a big fan of Odyssey batteries. Calculate your electrical load in amps, start sizing accordingly.
I’m looking at the Oddysey’s. How do I calculate my electric load? Would I have to take into account the draw from the fishfinder as well?
The engine is a one shot draw on the battery so recommended cranking amps. For each of the electrical component eg; fish finder, sonar, radio, look at the tech specs and see what the amp draw is and total them up. Then look at your battery specs and see what the amp/hour rating is. Compare that to your total amp draw and you have how long you can run those electronics before your battery is discharged too much. Unless you have a big stereo, none of the typical electronics on a little skiff draw much power. FWIW, I use an Odyssey PC1200 to start my Zuke 140 and all the electronics on my Vantage and I've never not had enough power, not including trolling motor. So one of the much smaller Odyssey batteries would likely have more than enough juice for you all day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

The engine is a one shot draw on the battery so recommended cranking amps. For each of the electrical component eg; fish finder, sonar, radio, look at the tech specs and see what the amp draw is and total them up. Then look at your battery specs and see what the amp/hour rating is. Compare that to your total amp draw and you have how long you can run those electronics before your battery is discharged too much. Unless you have a big stereo, none of the typical electronics on a little skiff draw much power. FWIW, I use an Odyssey PC1200 to start my Zuke 140 and all the electronics on my Vantage and I've never not had enough power, not including trolling motor. So one of the much smaller Odyssey batteries would likely have more than enough juice for you all day.
Got it, thanks much for the info. I sent an email off to Odyssey asking them which one of theirs they recommend, and will take a trip to the local batteries plus and see what they have.

Odd question though, will a battery from WalMart or even Sams Club/Costco cut it if it fits my motor and electronics needs?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I used an Odyssey PC680 to crank my 50 Etec. It worked well other than cold mornings (below 50F). Then it didn't always have enough oomph to turn it over. I would step up to the PC925.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
Got it, thanks much for the info. I sent an email off to Odyssey asking them which one of theirs they recommend, and will take a trip to the local batteries plus and see what they have.

Odd question though, will a battery from WalMart or even Sams Club/Costco cut it if it fits my motor and electronics needs?
Yes, Sams sells the Duracell AGM which gets good reviews. I use the Duracell Group34 for cranking a Tohatsu—and they require higher than typical CCA. But look into Odyssey for weight savings. Sams currently has their Duracell AGM on sale FYI.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A battery built for a PWC should also do the job and weigh a lot less.
Advanced auto parts carries small PWC batteries and small lithium batteries.
They are great about warranty issues also.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, Sams sells the Duracell AGM which gets good reviews. I use the Duracell Group34 for cranking a Tohatsu—and they require higher than typical CCA. But look into Odyssey for weight savings. Sams currently has their Duracell AGM on sale FYI.
I may have to go look at those Duracell’s at Sams. The Oddysey batteries look good, but they seem pricey, and I would have to get a completely different charger it seems .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A battery built for a PWC should also do the job and weigh a lot less.
Advanced auto parts carries small PWC batteries and small lithium batteries.
They are great about warranty issues also.
Will definitely give that a consideration and take a look at what they have. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Used a blue top for 2 years... it happened to die like 20 days after the 2 year mark and when the warranty ended. Didn't get an break on that warranty either.

Went with a dual interstate battery this time.

It is great so far and has 3 years of warranty.

Ill go with another when my TM battery dies too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, I have a few final questions for the board before I go out and spend money.

Can I use a dual purpose/deep cycle for a cranking battery that will also power my Fishfinder/GPS?

Secondly, will going up a group size hurt? Currently it’s a group 24.

Lastly, are one of the wet-cells all made by the same company and just re-branded for a different company? I’m looking at a Duracell from BatteriesPlus, the Walmart Everstarts, and Autozone batteries.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I highly recommend the Everstart batts, been using them for many years in all of my boats and vehicles. Just pulled a 24MS from my little skiff, 1 cell went bad. Could complain, but the born on date was 5/13. Had a pair of their Maxx 29s on a 24v troller that lasted 5 years, have a 3 yr old Maxx 29 on my current 12v that's going on 3 years and in excellent shape.
yes Johnson Controls makes most of the wet cells sold in the U S under many brand names: Everstart,Autozone,Interstate,Die Hard, Pep Boys,Motorcraft to name a few. Be aware tho that JC offers several levels of performance within each group size, check the specs carefully. Bottom line, a heavier wet cell within any group size will have better specs.
Caution on the Batteries Plus Duracells, they import a lot of China made AGMs while Sams sells the Deka USA made batts(same as the Deka Intimidator,highly rated) - read the label for country of origin.
Never pick a batt with a date code over 2 months old, Wal-Mart turns them over so quickly that it's rarely a problem there. And there's Wal-Mart's every where, easy to go to another store if the one you're in doesn t have the model you want.
More important tha n what battery you choose is your recharging system and habits. The faster a drawn down battery gets recharged the more capacity it will retain and the longer service life of will have. Period.
If you have a boat with a 20hp, you don't need more than a group 24, the extra weight will get you no advantage.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I highly recommend the Everstart batts, been using them for many years in all of my boats and vehicles. Just pulled a 24MS from my little skiff, 1 cell went bad. Could complain, but the born on date was 5/13. Had a pair of their Maxx 29s on a 24v troller that lasted 5 years, have a 3 yr old Maxx 29 on my current 12v that's going on 3 years and in excellent shape.
yes Johnson Controls makes most of the wet cells sold in the U S under many brand names: Everstart,Autozone,Interstate,Die Hard, Pep Boys,Motorcraft to name a few. Be aware tho that JC offers several levels of performance within each group size, check the specs carefully. Bottom line, a heavier wet cell within any group size will have better specs.
Caution on the Batteries Plus Duracells, they import a lot of China made AGMs while Sams sells the Deka USA made batts(same as the Deka Intimidator,highly rated) - read the label for country of origin.
Never pick a batt with a date code over 2 months old, Wal-Mart turns them over so quickly that it's rarely a problem there. And there's Wal-Mart's every where, easy to go to another store if the one you're in doesn t have the model you want.
More important tha n what battery you choose is your recharging system and habits. The faster a drawn down battery gets recharged the more capacity it will retain and the longer service life of will have. Period.
If you have a boat with a 20hp, you don't need more than a group 24, the extra weight will get you no advantage.
Much appreciated. I think I’m gonna snag a DC 24 Everstart for the motor/electronics, and another 29 for the troller.

Oh and I do have a ProSport 12 charger from ProMariner for recharging if that helps.

Thanks!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Pro Mariner makes a good charger, I'm using one on my skiff. They do run hot tho, I
Put 1/4" spacers under mine which is deck mounted in the bow compartment for air flow under the charger. Don't care how wiped you might be after a day on the water ,recharge those batt s as soon as you get back to 115v!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pro Mariner makes a good charger, I'm using one on my skiff. They do run hot tho, I
Put 1/4" spacers under mine which is deck mounted in the bow compartment for air flow under the charger. Don't care how wiped you might be after a day on the water ,recharge those batt s as soon as you get back to 115v!
I keep mine in the garage; I’m young-ish and dumb strong so I just yank the batteries each trip and store them in my garage and charge before outing my outings lol. Hope that’s right.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts