Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I just put my deposit down for a new Ankona Copperhead about a week ago and I'm beginning to get my ducks in a row as far as what to purchase.

I will be running a 55lb. Minn Kota Terrova, 60hp Tohatsu, under gunwhale lights, fishfinder/GPS, and potentially a live well in the future. My original thoughts are a battery dedicated to cranking/house and then a dedicated TM battery which will get moderate use during my normal trips. My initial research is telling me a lead acid group 27 for the cranking/house battery and a group 31 AGM for the trolling motor. What are everyone's opinions on this? Would ideally like to keep weight down. Price isn't a big issue.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
162 Posts
If you want light weight and price isn’t an issue. Definitely good Lithium 100ah for the TM. If not then I would run the agm group 31. It’s also a 95-100ah battery. Since you said it will get moderate use. You’d be happier with the 31 over a 27 and not much more weight. As for the starting/house battery. You could run a flooded lead acid group 24 with [email protected] 46lbs and be fine or run a 34agm with 1000mca @ 38 lbs. If you’re near central FL send me a message and I’ll get you a price on Interstate Batteries if you’d like.
Congratulations on the new build!!

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Check your engine cranking amps you should be able to use a lawnmower/motorcycle battery way lighter than a full size battery. For the trolling motor that's a different story you'll need a full size battery.

·
Panhandler
2,725 Posts
Been very happy with my Odyssey PC1500 for the trolling motor. So much so that I just bought another one for the starting battery. 49.5#, but worth it for the durability, in my opinion.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,936 Posts
Group 24 Deka battery is what we recommend for our skiffs. Interstate is also a great battery.

Reactions: Charles Hadley

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
I'm going to offer a word of warning about lawnmower batteries. I used them pretty consistently in skiffs with a 30 horsepower 2 stroke Evinrude some years ago. When they're brand new they work great, and put out about 310 cranking amps and that works fine. But they seem to have a really short lifespan when used in an application like this and eventually once they aged 6 months or so they'd start putting out much less amperage, like in the realm of 200 amps. You'd get one good crank and if it didn't fire you didn't have but maybe another try or two before the battery crapped out. I have a bigger boat and motor now and run three dedicated lead acid batteries but could probably get away with 2 group 27 or 31s. If you have the ability to rope start your motor maybe a single battery would be a consideration. Otherwise I say your 27/31 setup is a good one. Having some extra juice is good peace of mind IMO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
568 Posts
Got tired of burning up grp 27 batteries on my troller and went to a 31. Best boating decision ever.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
From my experience running a gen 1 copperhead(slightly different hull design) I would not mount a permanent group 31 in the front of a copperhead, with the hull design on those skiff’s you will struggle with getting the bow up in rough water with that added weight as these skiff’s like to run a level. On mine I used a group 31 but mounted it in an igloo cooler with a marinco plug in the side of the cooler. That way I could easily remove the weight of the troller and the battery on trips I wasn’t using it.

I also had a group 24 to crank my etec. Mounted in the back of the skiff. A center console mounted battery would be best to balance the skiff while poling in my opinion on this skiff.

These skiff’s pole well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a cayenne with 55lb minnkota...set up with dedicated Duracell 27 agm in front for that. Then an optima dual purpose 27 for cranking etec 60, stereo/ amp, gps, pp micro and live well. I bring one of those mini jump starters that's the size of my first cell phone, but never had to use it. Im really happy with performance of it all. I overuse my trolling motor just because I think it's fun sitting up on the poling platform fishing and having a beer, and never run out of juice

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,217 Posts
Had a gen 2 copperhead and second the weight in the front issue. I’d try to run the lightest battery for the trolly in the front if possible. 24 for starter is plenty unless you plan on running a bunch of accessories. Starting battery in the CC is what I’d recommend to balance the weight on that little skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,528 Posts
I’m running an Odyssey PC1200 for my starting and house battery. Zuke 140, Lowrance HDS7 w/sonic hub amp 4 speakers, power pole blade, livewell pump. You could easily step down in size on the battery, like a PC925.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,217 Posts
I’m running an Odyssey PC1200 for my starting and house battery. Zuke 140, Lowrance HDS7 w/sonic hub amp 4 speakers, power pole blade, livewell pump. You could easily step down in size on the battery, like a PC925.
I had the 1200 for my Yamaha 115 and loved it. That being said it did get drained one time when I was running a 800 gph livewell consistently throughout the day. I now have a pc1500

·
I Love microskiff.com!
217 Posts
The Tohatsu manual calls for a pretty high CCA, I don’t remember off the top of my head—but might be good to read up on it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
162 Posts
It sounds like that boat would ride better without a battery up front. What about putting a agm group 31 in the console? You could use it as a house/TM battery. Then run an odyssey pc1200 or 1500 as a dedicated starting battery. You could have a battery switch installed to have both batteries start the motor if the starting battery ever got drawn down (it shouldn’t with everything else on the house/TM battery.) Just my thoughts after reading a few others comments. I would also recommend an onboard charger for the house/TM battery. If you could fit both batteries in the console then do a two bank but if the starting battery ends up in the back you could just run a simple single lead waterproof charger.

Battery Tender 12V, 5A Weatherproof Battery Charger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DU3S9A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kPk.Db3M73XG6

Blue Sea 9001E E-Series Battery Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000K2MCR2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_qSk.DbS3YT79X

·
Registered
716 Posts
55ah lifepo4 battery is 12lbs, 100ah lifepo4 battery is 33lbs. I think either would be fine in front for the trolling motor. Easier to wire as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts