Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a brand new 55-pound thrust riptide Edge

with a brand new dedicated group 29 battery in the front deck of my skiff.

I currently own a digital small smart charger by Black & Decker but is it only 2 Amps.

I have studied the previous post on Microskiff.com and hulltruth.com and I am a bit confused on what charger I need. I would like to avoid installing the charger on board so I have the option to charge other batteries once in a while like a mower, cars, motorbikes ect.

I understand that more amps = faster charging. But what charging rate (amps) is best for battery life?

There could be times where I return from fishing Friday night and plan to go Saturday morning but not very often.

Ideally, I would like a portable charger that I can put a quick connect trolling motor plug on and directly into the deck.

Then switch it back to alligator clips when needed for the mower or scooters.

Growing up we had chargers that could trickle charge or charge at 15 or 20 Amps for a quick charge but if you forgot to unplug them they messed up the battery.
I do not see Smart multi-amp chargers that are digital for sale.

Thanks for any advise.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Noco Genius 7200, I have pigtails (quick connects) on both of my diesel truck batteries, my son’s souped up power wheels, boat, lawnmower, tractor and spare truck. It also charges Lithiums. You can pick them up for about $100

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
Yes, it’s fast enough for my needs. You really don’t want to charge your batteries too fast, a slower charge is better for longevity. The NOCO is truly a smart charger. It has other settings as well that you can manually select.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use a Battery Tender Plus charger which only charges at 1.25amps. It is a slower charge rate, but the charger is a "smart" charger, and I don't mind the slower rate. It also came with a quick connect pigtail which makes the hook-up easy.
View attachment 93362
How long does it take the 1.25 AMP charger to recharge the deep cycle trolling battery?
My 2AMP charger is basically the same as that but I figured going out 2 days in a row would be out of the question.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,605 Posts
How long does it take the 1.25 AMP charger to recharge the deep cycle trolling battery?
My 2AMP charger is basically the same as that but I figured going out 2 days in a row would be out of the question.
I don't normally use the trolling motor that often, maybe an hour or 2 at most during a fishing trip, so an overnight charge is more than adequate to top the batter off. BUT after one particularly battery heavy outing, it did take almost 2 days (I was at work for those 2 days so not a big deal)

·
Registered
60 Posts
For what it's worth, I spoke to a battery company local to my area and after picking up my deep cycle group 29 battery, he mentioned that I would want at least 10 amps to charge and then a low amperage to maintain if needed.
Now, I'm no battery expert but my first battery I had, optima blue top, I was having issues on a the near new battery and noticed my battery would deplete rather quickly and wouldnt fully charge. He mentioned that charger i had, 2 amps, didn't have enough azz to charge and bring to back to full charge. Not sure if this is all true or was because it didnt like the AGM but so far 10 amps seems to be keeping the battery pretty strong and not experiencing any issues thus far.

I believe i got a shumacker 10, 5, 2 amp charger from Amazon for $50 or somewheres around there.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For what it's worth, I spoke to a battery company local to my area and after picking up my deep cycle group 29 battery, he mentioned that I would want at least 10 amps to charge and then a low amperage to maintain if needed.
Now, I'm no battery expert but my first battery I had, optima blue top, I was having issues on a the near new battery and noticed my battery would deplete rather quickly and wouldnt fully charge. He mentioned that charger i had, 2 amps, didn't have enough azz to charge and bring to back to full charge. Not sure if this is all true or was because it didnt like the AGM but so far 10 amps seems to be keeping the battery pretty strong and not experiencing any issues thus far.

I believe i got a shumacker 10, 5, 2 amp charger from Amazon for $50 or somewheres around there.
I was always told that you want to charge batteries slow and low. I am not sure who is correct, but I know the portable chargers from Minn Kota offer 5 or 10 Amp.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
minnkota chargers are crap. at least in my experience. battery tender has customer service on the level of powerpole which is outstanding. I've heard and read good things about noco, which is Chinese. dual pro and battery tender are made in USA. battery tender is based in DeLand fl. I use some Chinese stuff so not being holier than thou, just sayin.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Back when I had a boat full of batteries I was told that the optimum charge rate was the same rate at which they were discharged. Don't know if that still holds true, but it seemed to be the conventional wisdom back then.

·
Banned
1,441 Posts
I use pro sport multi bank charger/ maintainer on skiff. Ive got an optimax maintainer/charger on truck. I like it much better

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
I did not see a portable dual pro that would allow me to charge boat, truck, scooter, mower, ect
I have 2 Dual Pro chargers 10 amp. 1 is 10 yrs old. They both have been great. I use them as portable chargers because I don't want the weight in the boat. 1 is 3 bank , 1 is 4 bank. They have both been terrific. I use them to charge whatever I need to charge.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts