Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do alot more bass fishing than I do wondering the marsh creeks in South Carolina for Trout and Redfish. I'm curious as to what bass techniques you guys use when chasing trout and reds. This season, I'm gonna try 'drop shotting' with a gulp or DOA shrimp and maybe even a paddle tail or trick trout. Anyone Carolina rig, Ned Rig, Drop Shot soft plastics for inshore species?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ned rig is lethal in cooler, clear, shallow water. Just watch out as the hooks bend easy.

Most of the year your typical “power” style bass fishing will catch you fish. Paddle tails, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits etc are all good at covering water.

With docks I am all about skipping a 1/4 jig head and gulp shrimp under it.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Im not sure what any of those rigs are but DOA green/brown shrimp crush the big snook

Reactions: Chasntuna

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
The truth is... that most all of the techniques we use in the backcountry (from the Everglades all the up to the Carolinas) are based on freshwater bass skills.... Yeah, the first time you toss a nice plug casting rig with brand new line in some places you're very likely to lose all of your line.... (the look on a first timers face down my way as they watch their gear getting spooled is just priceless - but I'm very careful not to laugh...).

Whether pitching, flipping, or trying to work a topwater near structure - much of what we do in the brackish or salty shorelines came directly from freshwater techniques... Unlike freshwater though, a leader of some kind is mandatory...

Whenever I have someone that bass fishes and is new to the 'glades I always recommend that they bring their favorite rod with them since accuracy in casting is everything in my world. Lay that lure three feet from cover and it gets ignored. Place it close enough to touch the end of a downed tree and things get interesting... Getting a bass guy to quit trying to rip their lips off on the strike does take some doing though.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
All my bass buddies have a terrible time w salt water hook set. I can preach till cows come home. Had a blue carbon steel treble buried in shin meat years ago. Small gap. Wore it half a day looking for side cutters small enough for gap,yet tough enough for carbon steel. St Upid ( patron saint of dumbass fisherman ) Partner Missed hook set. Wth. They’ve been known to break rods with hook set. At least I break mine w tailgate. Lol.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
I'd like to help you out. Which way did you come in?
377 Posts
Easier to say what I do differently for SW inshore. All about the same for bass and inshore except the popping cork thing inshore. Humm maybe I should try that on bass..

·
Premium Member
1,901 Posts
(the look on a first timers face down my way as they watch their gear getting spooled is just priceless - but I'm very careful not to laugh...).
You could have laughed at me and I'd have had to laugh with you. One of the most memorable times I've had. Think the fish just grew another 5 pounds :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I caught a red on a 5" lizard this past weekend. Have hooked a couple tarpon on 10" plastic worms and caught a 34" gag on a 3/4oz bass jig. I don't use these types of lures on a regular bases in saltwater but do like to experiment.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
405 Posts
I always try to keep up with the latest swimbaits offered in the bass world. Some of them flat out catch reds and other inshore species.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Trolled spanish from time to time w umbrella rig. Crazy
Caught dozen plus huge grass carp on 2” Blakemore road runner pumpkin color over the years. My carp “go to “ lure. Lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts