Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have not fished fresh water in 20 years and this weather, work and honey do's have been kicking my ass lately

I cannot be bothered with dragging the boat down to the bay this weekend so I was thinking of going to a little lake near me and throwing a fly for an hour or so on Sunday

What is a good fly and the best approach for semi winter large mouth in Hernando County

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im in Marion County and have been in the same boat in regards to weather. I have a few gurglers that they seem to like and it helps that they dont get caught in the hydrilla. ( all white and black/chartreuse ). They are still small enough that big blue gill will hit it. May favorite is a large top water frog that has great action and the bass love it. Havnt felt the need to venture out of top water yet.

·
Premium Member
1,674 Posts

Articulated streamer tied with mink, (3+" long).
I tie these a little over an inch long to a few bigger than this one.
My favorites, first white, black.
I've also tied other colors and various combinations but seldom use anything other than the white one.

Mink, while it's hair is not as long as marabou I like it much better and think it looks and "acts" better in the water.
On the strip it's diameter shirks to almost half, then at rest puffs out.

Black Bass killer and also out preforms all my other streamers for Strippers.
If it will eat a minnow it will eat this.
Mink, once you get it wet is easier to cast compared to similar size streamers.

·
Registered
1999 Scout 162 Sportfish
18 Posts
Try a white toad or Megalolipop...I have caught 100s of bass on these flies. Don‘t forget about EP minnows.
EP minnows are my favorite to imitate bluegill with and the bass crush them in any water clarity or any time of year.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,500 Posts
I catch bass all the time on grass carp hoppers and bugs when I'm not trying to catch them. But if I wanted to catch them and there weren't a lot of snags, I'd use a baitfish imatation. Top water frogs and gurglers work better in warm weather

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Gurglers always work for bass when I need to scratch an itch. And lets face it...bass can be boring without that top water hit.

Reactions: Flyboy

·
Registered
69 Posts
Shortened Dragon Tail, 1 or 2 Hackles and whatever foam head keeps it floating or just under the surface. I spin strips of foam like deer hair to make the head, similar to drew chicones tuscan bunny.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to toss cork popping bugs that mimicked dragon flys. That is a summer endeavor here in NC so YMMV
!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Morning and evenings, dark poppers in shallow water, by stumps, trees, etc.

Deeper water - red and white / chartreuses white clousers are my go to. The bigger the better - I throw 2/0 at times - black bass just get pissed off at it. I don't go below size 2 on those. I just sinking head lines in deeper water to get it down. Largemouth are ambush eaters - hanging out somewhere safe, waiting to pounce on their prey.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts