Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like bass fishing, I suck at fly fishing. So why I would I try fly fishing for bass in the back yard?

I need a drink.

·
Registered
475 Posts
you can cover alot more water, especailly if you are fishing from a boat. Hit a bank or opening, strip it a few times pick it up, drop it back down down a few feet down the bank, and repeat...whats real fun is when a fish misses, with some practice, you can pick it up and trow it right back way faster than you could reel up and pitch a conventional rod.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,822 Posts
I rarely fish for bass, but when I do it's almost always top water. I love catching even small bass on surface flies.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I rarely fish for bass, but when I do it's almost always top water. I love catching even small bass on surface flies.
I love top water bassin’. It’s easy. Convenient. And the flies don’t have to be works of art to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had one of "dirty rotten fly" patterns that Scott posted above, no luck. They are peacock bass being finicky but there are largemouth in there too.

I even broke out the spinner with a Gulp mullet and then spook. No luck there either. Too much grass and constant fouling even with a weed guard on the soft plastic. Top water fly is ideal here but it's like women, I just aint got what they want most of the time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had one of "dirty rotten fly" patterns that Scott posted above, no luck. They are peacock bass being finicky but there are largemouth in there too.

I even broke out the spinner with a Gulp mullet and then spook. No luck there either. Too much grass and constant fouling even with a weed guard on the soft plastic. Top water fly is ideal here but it's like women, I just aint got what they want most of the time.
Ha ha, I get it. Just like any other fish, at times they can be a pain in the grass. Thus, the need for bourbon.

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,513 Posts
Nothing wrong with a little "bass on a gurgler" action from time to time.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,182 Posts
High Floating weedless fly with a sink tip line will get the fly down in the zone and let you work it slow without getting all hung up. Especially deadly when there are grass beds. This will help you find nicer fish, not just dinks that hit anything. 8wt is best, stinger hooks, strip set.

Credit goes to Bill Laminack, he taught me this method.

·
Registered
198 Posts
High Floating weedless fly with a sink tip line will get the fly down in the zone and let you work it slow without getting all hung up. Especially deadly when there are grass beds. This will help you find nicer fish, not just dinks that hit anything. 8wt is best, stinger hooks, strip set.

Credit goes to Bill Laminack, he taught me this method.
It"s a great technique. The fly fisherman's Carolina rig. The slight drawback being that even with the rod tip down and a tight line, strike detection can be tough. Still, get them to eat, and worry about the rest after.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts