Bang for the buck DSLR...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by iMacattack, May 28, 2008.

1. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Thinking of upgrading my camera... don't need pro... just better than my current point and shoot... also nothing that's big $$$

2. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

I am looking at the D60 from Costco comes with two lens, bag and what not. Also the return pol with Costco is very good ask Shiner Killer.
    the D60 is smaller and light wieght next to a lot of the slr's out at this time.

3. MATT

MATT Well-Known Member

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11279309&search=D60&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=D60&Ntt=D60&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

4. captnron

captnron Guest

Why the D60 over the D40? I got real lucky taking the Tarpon pics this weekend and I want something with an auto shutter for my daughter's gym pics too. Basically Bob told me when the fish was going to jump so I was ready. ;)

I was thinking of getting the D40 with the 18-55 lens and getting the 18-200 as Tom suggested. All the "Body Only" deals are more than the ones with a 18-55 lens from what I've found so far. I also agree with deerfly in that i don't want to change lenses in public so having one lens would be the deal maker for me. Most I want to carry is a spare cards, batteries and filters.

Thx,
    Ron

5. iMacattack

Little pricey for my likes... Any other options?

6. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

You're gonna pay a few hundred for a decent SLR. But, check ebay and craigs list. You never know.

7. aaronshore

The 18-200mm is gonna be the ticket for sure!! As far as carrying spare cards and batteries, the batteries last a really long time. I just changed mine out from when I bought it about a month ago, and I have taken a few hundred pics. Also I have my camera set on JPEG Large and have a 4gig card. I can take over 2k pics like that. So unless you change the format I doubt youre gonna fill that card up in a day or three. Just sayin. ;D ;D

8. captnron

captnron Guest

K,

I was looking at a D80 body only with a 18-200 lens for just a little more than the D40 and adding the 18 to 200 lens. Granted, I would have the 10-55 lens but would never use it. Wouldn't I be better off getting the D80 with a 18 to 200 for a few more $$$?

9. aaronshore

Well I guess that depends on your reason for getting the D80 over the D40. But IMHO I would get the D40 and then buy the 18-200mm lense. That way you have a killer camera with the 18-55mm lense for everyday knocking around, and when you want to go on the boat or whatever, you put on the 18-200mm for that. I think the D80 has some more features than the D40, but you might not be smart enough to tell the difference!! ;D ;D

10. iMacattack

few hundred yes, 800 no

11. aaronshore

You can get a brand new D40 with lense for prob. less than $500

12. iMacattack

ok u girls suck! :mad: Thanks for nothing.

13. captnron

captnron Guest

Truth is, after looking, I couldn't get there from here. I bought a Fugi 5000 several years ago, don't remember what I paid, but I don know for a few more $$$ I got the D40 and there is no comparison.

Buy it once. Cheaper in the long run.

Just my .00000000000002 sense and coming from and camera idiot. ;)

14. iMacattack

Fixed... :D