Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My grandfather was a contractor in Miami from about 1930's - 1960 and he was a big time fisherman. I was given one of his bamboo rods and was hoping someone might have some information the manufacture of the rod. The only markings on the rod is J Teddow #17. Anybody have any information about this rod?

2020-11-19_06-38-28_955.jpeg
2020-11-19_06-38-00_415.jpeg

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Is there any chance that's a five sided bamboo (instead of the standard six sided ones?)... There was an old guy years and years ago that built them down here in south Florida... They were the only five sided split bamboo rods I ever heard of... but his name wasn't Teddow.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That could be a copy of a Heddon #17 taper. His "Teddow" script is similar to how Heddon would have written their logo too. How long is the rod, 8'6" or 7'6" by any chance?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I believe you have a Heddon model 17. Commonly called "Black Beauty" because of the black wraps on the guides, ferrules and hook keeper and black reel seat. It was rated for a 6wt DT line. In good shape would be worth about $250. Good all around fishing rod. Yours looks to be in good condition, 3pc with 2 tips, but one tip looks to be a bit short from the picture. If you want more info, check out

·
Registered
609 Posts
I may have been a bit premature on the line wt for this rod. HEDDON used ferrule length and diameter for line wt and action. I copied this from the classicflyrodforum.
1 3/4 17/64 Light Trout
2 18/64 Standard Trout
2 1/2 19/64 Bass-Heavy Trout
2 3/4 21/64 Power-Plus
3 22/64 Heavy Duty, (also called "Extra Duty")
A Black Beauty in excellent condition, all sections the same length and straight, all guides tight, none missing, good clear finish, can bring $400.
Sorry for any confusion

·
I Love microskiff.com!
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a six sided rod and one of the tip sections has been repaired. My grandfather and I were very close when I was growing up, and he was an avid hunter and fisherman. I am going to try and locate a reel of the same vintage and find a special place to hang it on the wall. Thanks for all the help,

·
Registered
609 Posts
You have one good tip. Clean it up a bit and fish it before retiring it to the man cave wall.
Find a Pflueger Medalist 1492 or comparable reel, looks nice on 'boo.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,145 Posts
Do some guide replacement and new varnish or clear coat and get to fishing with it. I have rebuilt and in a few cases Frankensteined a couple older bamboo rods for saltwater use and I always enjoy them. Most notably a 10’ 9-10wt that I cut 2 1/2 foot off of that’s a really great and fairly crisp 7wt now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Definitely a # 17 Black Beauty. Heddon maintained consistently high quality in their rod building thus the slogan “Heddon Made - Well Made.” They often used simple signatures on the black beauty and were made in Dowagiac, Michigan so it’s possible J Ted was the maker and Dow was Dowagiac abbreviated. As noted in post, the signature matches those typical of Heddon rods. Heddon also supplied rods to many companies to sell under their private label. You may want to pick up the “Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook” by Michael Sinclair which will guide you through the process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts