Bamboo backed hickory longbow for son

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by deerfly, Sep 24, 2008.

1. deerfly

deerfly Opinicus iracibilus

OK, here's a little more complete build sequence for building an all wood, laminated bow. Still no tillering pic's, but there's enough here to get a feel for the steps.

Here's the bamboo and hickory laminations glued up in reflex/deflex
    [​IMG]

Trey holding the raw glue-up to show profile.
    [​IMG]

Gluing the handle or riser on.
    [​IMG]

Rough shaping
    [​IMG]

More refined shaping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gluing on and shaping deer antler tips
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After about 12-17 hours of scraping and tillering its shown here at brace height and ready for final sanding and preliminary shoot in.
    [​IMG]

A few finish pic's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A quick glance at the tiller at brace followed by Trey doing some test shooting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the end game happened to stroll through the yard to see what all the fuss was about.  :cool: (note the deer in the middle is a 3D target :) )
    [​IMG]

and there you have it. ;)

2. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

Very impressive. What got you into making bows in the first place?

3. deerfly

thanks, I think its just like everything else I like to do, ya know the hands on approach, the challenge of it all and hopefully the satisfaction that comes from doing more with less. :)

4. costefishnt

costefishnt Cost Efish'nt³

WOW....I am in awe. simply amazing stuff eric. I said it before. You are a blessed man.

5. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

Beautiful work. Very impressive. You should go into business.

6. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Great view from the house, as always Eric, the pics are killing me!!!!
    Weedy

PS, Tell Chloe I'm sorry about Alexis not coming to the rally

7. captnron

captnron Guest

As usual, nice work Eric. :cool:

BTW - would you please post pics after you install the pulleys? ;D ;D ;D

8. deerfly

I see the vodka is starting to seep in now, eh? Yer showing positive signs of loosing your better judgment now. :)

9. captnron

captnron Guest

;D ;D ;D

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Daughter is showing signs of improvement with the recurve. :cool:

Pulled out the bow and shot a little with her. What is the draw weight your long bow?

10. deerfly

I shoot a 58lb Howard Hill now, the one pictured in the 06 float pic's. I had to move down in weight from a 65lb Fisher (04 pic's) after a shoulder tear in 2005. 58lb's is getting on the low end poundage wise for moose with 55lbs being about as low as you'd want to go. You can kill them with less poundage, but you're counting on missing rib bone with the lighter bows. Too much to chance IMO. The animal deserves better and your chances of getting a shot in the first place is pretty low, so you want as much in your favor as possible. Except for maybe big nasty boar hog's, 40-50lb bows are plenty for anything we hunt in the lower 48 though.

11. captnron

captnron Guest

And the reason I went to pulleys. ;)

12. deerfly

pulleys or training wheels? :)

anyway, real men shoot longbows because they can. :cool:

13. tom_in_orl

I have shot a recurve and compound bow in the past. I would like to try a long bow one of these days. Any advice for those who are mildly interested? BTW, I would proably not be hunting moose. I like the small game aspect. Also turkey. Deer and maybe hog would be the most extreeme for me.

14. deerfly

Tom, small game hunting is one of my favorite. I'd go to Alaska again just to hunt the grouse and rabbits. Its tons of fun. Even here, sneaking along in the woods trying to take squirrels is a hoot. You don't kill many, but you have a blast trying.  :cool: Plus, if you're being stealthy like you're supposed to, you'll get encounters with deer and hogs on the ground too. Tough to close the deal on them unless you see them first, but is pretty exciting regardless.

Anyway, modern longbows and recurves are very efficient, especially with fast flight or some other no-stretch fiber string material. Like I said above 40-50lb draw is plenty for almost anything you want to hunt.

If you're a compound shooter then a recurve is the easiest to adjust to because its held with a high wrist like a compound and is generally shot vertically or with a slight cant. There are longbows out there today that have near recurve like grips too and are again an easier transition from a compound or recurve.

Then there are longbows like the Howard Hill that I shoot that have either a straight or very slightly dished grip and are held almost like a broom stick or naturally how you would clench your fist to throw a punch. These are a little harder to learn to shoot at first, but once you get the hang of it (unless you're unusually gifted takes years, btw) are more natural to draw and shoot quickly, which is why most stunt shooters like Byron Ferguson and others shoot longbows for aerial targets or other fast moving targets. They come to draw faster for quick shots at game like rabbits, squirrels or birds flushed from cover. Perched for hours in a deer stand they don't offer much, if anything they get in the way because of their length. My Hill for example is 68" long. I do hunt from a hang-on stand with it, but I have to either trim a bit or choose a tree where there's less stuff in the way.

The last bit of advice to not to over bow, meaning don't be tempted to go for a bow heavier than you can draw and hold easily. Learn to shoot first, then up the draw weight later if you need or want to. If you start with too much draw weight you'll develop bad habits that are hard to break. Most any adult male should be able to handle a 45lb bow to start with and do a lot of hunting with it too. For recurves I wouldn't start with anything shorter than say 58" long either, longbows probably about 64" tip to tip. The longer bows balance better in the hand and the string angle isn't to severe at full draw so its easier on the fingers.

Be happy to help you out any way I can. Traditional archery is fun like fly fishing, a little challenging to get to a certain competency level, but a lot of fun from there on out. Unlike compound shooting though, you can't leave the bow in the closet most of the year and tune up a week or two before hunting season. You really have to shoot more during the year, which is fun too. :)  

15. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Should I ask? :-?

Very impressive work by the way.

16. deerfly

sure, men's softball tournament. :) Head first slide to avoid a tag. :(

17. fishgitr

fishgitr Well-Known Member

Beautiful work! Dont believe that I have seen a finer bow.

18. tom_in_orl

Thank you for imparting some of your wisdom and experience! Great great info.

19. captnron

captnron Guest

Ouch. :-?

20. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I play with a antique Bear 35 lb recurve.
    Works fine on bushy tailed tree rats for the skillet.
    Them newfangled pulley thingy toys,
    they got too many movin' parts,
    and not enough lubrication!

Anythin' with too many movin' parts,
    and not enough lubrication, sooner or later,
    ends up on blocks out behind the barn!
                          ;)