Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

bait rig for big drum

3681 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Ice Cream Man
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The above rig is being used in NC for fishing w/ bait for big drum.
According to the studies, this rig has significantly decrease mortality numbers after release.The studies have indicated that in a badly hook fish one should just cut the line and release.It appears that the drum can pretty much expel the hooks overtime.

· Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
18,644 Posts
It’s a circle hook, people have been using them for decades now because they usually hook the fish right in the corner of the mouth as they were designed to do. I use them on **** pops and live bait for tarpon and other species (more when I bait fished a lot years ago).

· Registered
811 Posts
It’s called a Lupton rig. Yes it’s a circle, but the effectiveness also has to do with the fixed weight and short leader. I believe during certain times of the year NC requires some variation of this rigging

It’s a circle hook, people have been using them for decades now because they usually hook the fish right in the corner of the mouth as they were designed to do. I use them on **** pops and live bait for tarpon and other species (more when I bait fished a lot years ago).

· Registered
669 Posts
I use a knocker rig all the time on the flats for Red Drum. No beads or swivels, just an FG or Double Uni knot with a 2' leader and a 1-2 oz lead and a snelled sport circle hook. I know it is typically a bottom/reef fishing rig, but a large cut pinfish or ladyfish chunk is very effective on a knocker rig. I've caught a few snook the same way while targeting reds. I usually wait until I see one or two cruising the flat before I stake out and deploy a deadstick while I cast a topwater or swimbait at the other end of the boat.

· Registered
6,002 Posts
I long ago learned (the hard way...) not to drop back or allow any fish to pick up and take a bit of line before the hook up when fishing cut (or live) bait on the bottom... Not un-common for us to have a rod or two on the bottom while we're working a spot with lures and in every case the reel is in gear with standard fighting drag - and the rod is in a sturdy rodholder, period - no dropback or extra slack line ever.

I found that our actual hookups increased - and a rig on the bottom, even with a J-hook catches fish in the jaw almost every time exactly like a circle hook.... We don't even touch the rod until it bends over and the drag is screaming... Works like a charm. One other small point - we only fish bottom baits when there's a noticeable current so that the scent is getting dispersed downstream, and only fresh caught cutbaits, period, when we're not using live bait...

· Super Moderator
4,306 Posts
The Lupton rig definitely works. I've caught bulls up to 50 pounds while fishing with Capt. George Beckwith in Pamlico Sound. The short leader and egg sinker prevents the fish from swallowing the bait deep. The same rig would be very effective for other traditional bull red fisheries like Pensacola, St. Andrews Passes and Bob Sikes Cut during the fall feeding frenzy.

· Registered
463 Posts
Apples & oranges comparing Redfish to Bull Drum.
Same species, but way different technique in continuing the survival of the big breeders......
You can catch Bull Drum on a knocker rig & we did land a lost Sea Lynch covered 47" while catching slot Redfish with Shrimp on a 'knocker rig" dock fishing. Have even caught a 42" on Trout gear.
Not recommended........ ICM
Fish Fishing Fish Recreation Fisherman

Fish Fishing Fish Fisherman Recreational fishing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.