Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at planning a trip to the Bahamas in June (Not sure which island yet). Last year I went to Long Island and had to pay someone to get my license before I arrived so I wouldn't have to figure it out once there. Anyone been in the past few months? Some information shows that they rolled back the license requirement but it is still on the bahamian website as a requirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just came back from a trip to Eleuthera in January, and yes, they still require a license. It's a super easy process, just go to the local administration/government building and fill out a one-page form, which they have on hand and give them $20. Anybody in town can point you to the admin building if you can't find it on Google maps

·
Registered
369 Posts
Just back from a week in Exuma. We got the license for $20. For a week. Easy enough to fill out form and take to Administration building on the island. Interestingly though our guide, well known on the island, told us we dis not need it and he was sorry that he did not advise us of that before we came. He said it us not being enforced and he was surprised it was still available. He said the monies in collection had been "misappropriated." By the way excellent bonefishing and a few tarpon.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I will try again this year at Exuma. Last year I did not succeed - office was closed. I have no issue with "following the law". I hear 7wt on the negatives to.

We do a mix of DIY and Guided Fishing.

https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2018/03/31/diy-bonefish-exumas/

Sadly last year - one of those better known guides - Bonefish Stevie - decided to charge me down on the flat - scaring everything away - to later then yell at me about license. By the time he got to me, effectively the flat was empty, destroying the rest of the morning. His leaving threat had to deal with sharks.

I also notice he takes 3 people on his boat, a violation of the law. Anyway next time, I am going to video the process of getting a license and when I see a boat charge me on the flat, I will start the video, so I can youtube it.

Other than Stevie's aggression, it was good trip.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Raspberry, Stevie certainly does not have a good reputation and it is always with regret when I hear someone say they have booked him as a guide. I DIY fished with a friend our first day as it rained for half the day and our guides who are honorable said let's cancel today. We hired a taxi in the afternoon when the sun finally made it and found a nice flat to wade across to not normally fished. Unfortunately the water was just a bit high and a number of lemons cleared it of bone's but we had no issues. It is legal to DIY in the Bahamas, however I opt to hire guides. I appreciate that bonefishing is a guide's main income in the Bahamas. If I want to DIY which I do like for the challenge, I would probably choose a location with few or no guides like Inagua or Ragged or Mayaguana. Still I would talk to any guides first as a courtesy. I see it as their Bahamas.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I look at a guide as opportunity to learn. Case in point, when we were on the Wharfe (UK, Yorkshire) we had a great guide in Steve Rhodes who listen and taught us on French-Spanish Leader, Czech Nymphing, as well North Country Spiders (we were on the Wharfe) et cetera.

https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2013/06/26/fishing-on-the-wharfe/

But Judy and I get greater satisfaction from hunting on our own accord. The problem with some of the remote islands, do you need a car and can you get one.

Back to the bad guide interaction > Our host recommended (and I did) write and submit detailed account of being charged by Stevie in his boat to an official office in the Bahamas (forget whom). It was afterwards, I was hitting myself for not "video-taping" this, so I could submit to youtube.

I note this interaction for others to learn. My lesson ... if you see a boat coming at you in the Bahamas. Get your GoPro or camera on the boat coming at you, and record it.

Frankly as this as the only negative aspect of the trip, I rather move on.

And to counter with good > Garth was good, and a definite recommendation for a guide in the Bahamas.

We are back in Bahamas in 5 weeks.

Yes, I see it as we are visitors, and being gracious to all, is something we should all strive for. Fishing in Exuma is a privilege.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts