Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I'm in the midst of planning a bonefish getaway for the family. Thankfully, my wife does quite well with a fly rod and doesn't like 5 star hotels:) I've done Andros in February (Small Hope Bay Lodge-stellar place), Abaco in June and Belize in June/July as well. Obviously, the weather can be more stable in the winter but the last time I did Bahamas in Feb, we wore jackets and spent way too much time looking at a fireplace (odd winter storm). This time, will have my newbie 14 yr old son and barely interested 12 yr old daughter so want to pick a good time of the year for good numbers of bones. I've been most impressed with N. Andros and Andros in general. Tips as to venues and timing? I love to wade but will probably spend quite a bit of time with a guide too. One of the places I read about, Mt. Pleasant, advertised great wade fishing around the lodge. May want to get in a day or two or snorkeling/scuba as well.
Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just back from a great trip to Exuma. Peace and Plenty hotel in Georgetown, new ownership, nice rooms, pool and two bars. Bonefishing excellent. One morning had a nice bone on when 3 tarpon, good size showed up, swung bone to guide grabbed tarpon rod line already out and made a cast, two follows should have eaten- ah tough life. Lots of good size bones. One afternoon waded with friend but no luck- sharks- really best with a guide- the right guides. PM me if interested

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just back from a great trip to Exuma. Peace and Plenty hotel in Georgetown, new ownership, nice rooms, pool and two bars. Bonefishing excellent. One morning had a nice bone on when 3 tarpon, good size showed up, swung bone to guide grabbed tarpon rod line already out and made a cast, two follows should have eaten- ah tough life. Lots of good size bones. One afternoon waded with friend but no luck- sharks- really best with a guide- the right guides. PM me if interested
Thanks!
Matt

G

·
0 Posts
The east coast fishes best from October through January and the west coast fishes best from February through August.

Reach out to Doug McKnight at Yellow Dog Flyfishing Adventures and he can set you up with the right lodge for your family at the right time of the season. They’ll handle all the travel details, get you the best guides from the lodge you choose and you’ll probably end up paying less than if you book direct.

Here's a few places that would work for families;

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/abaco/abaco-club-winding-bay

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/abaco/delphi-club

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/andros-island/kamalame-cay-resort

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/grand-bahama/north-riding-point-club

https://www.yellowdogflyfishing.com/destinations/long-island/stella-maris-resort

·
Registered
7 Posts
For Andros I really liked Kamalame. We went in December in saw plenty of fish, and there is a wadeable flat on the north(?) end of the island opposite from the ferry dock. The guides also like to anchor the boat and wade some of the internal creeks. They have a good dive shop as well and are only a short ride to wall/ledge, which is a cool dive if you haven't done it. The dive shop organizes snorkeling trips as well including spearfishing. It's on a small, self contained island and completely accessible by bike, so your children won't be stuck if you decide to go fishing without them.

For wade fishing, I'm a big fan of Eleuthera. The accessible wade fishing is probably why it's such a DIY destination. Have seen plenty of fish in summer and winter. Manex Newton of Coco Loba Tours is a great guide and only does wade trips. He can also set up diving or lead cave tours and snorkeling trips where you can see pygmy seahorses for your daughter. There aren't many big hotels or resorts on Eleuthera, but we like The Other Side. Eleuthera is an easy place to just rent a house if you want to go that way, but you definitely need a car in Eleuthera.

Harbour Island, just off Eleuthera, also has easily accessed wadable flats, but they're not as expansive as on Eleuthera. The guides typically fish from boats and you'll end up spending a lot of time on airport flats, which has some of the most educated fish anywhere. Harbour Island does have more hotels/resorts than Eleuthera and is entirely accessible by golf cart, so your children can get around without you. There is some great snorkeling there too, especially if you are into sea turtles.

K3anderson mentioned Long Island, and it's a great fishery basically year round. Unfortunately it isn't very wadeable. Stella Maris is the fishing hub for the island, and Docky Smith is the celebrity guide on the island. He also does other outings like swimming with the pigs and snorkeling if you want to schedule some activities that are more your daughter's speed. You do need a car on Long Island.

Hope that's somewhat helpful, and wherever you go, have a great trip

·
Registered
246 Posts
I spent December down in San Pedro, Belize...rented a golf cart and fished almost every day I could weather permitting. I can honestly say there wasn't a single day I did not have a shot at a bone DIY, best day was 7. Granted these are smaller models, but ol rubber lips was around a couple days as well. Only got him to eat twice(one was with a guide). Had shots at some really good sized snook in the back estuaries as well as jumped about 4 more mature tarpon out on the beach and creek mouth. With shots at the 'big 3' it's hard to say Belize isn't one of the best DIY spots I've been too.

However your question is about the Bahamas, spent a winter over in Treasure Cay about 3 years ago...just as they began dredging. Had some good days there, not a lot of numbers but the ones that I did see were all in the 4-5lb range with a few close to 8-9 every week or so. You've got limited wadeable spots there but has a good family rating with everything accessible by golf cart. I never took time to fish the marls as I personally haven't seen that many large fish come out of there and didn't want to pay a guide at abaco lodge. Although this year the yeti boys seems to be finding a good amount of perms, which I believe is a good boat ride away to get to them.

There are flats just south of TC that are not pressured and hold some really nice sized bones however a standup SUP or kayak is needed to get to some of the better flats.

Heading down to Exuma in July so Im interested in seeing if there any additional reports from there.

Feel free to DM with any questions.
-Kyle

G

·
0 Posts
For Andros I really liked Kamalame. We went in December in saw plenty of fish, and there is a wadeable flat on the north(?) end of the island opposite from the ferry dock. The guides also like to anchor the boat and wade some of the internal creeks. They have a good dive shop as well and are only a short ride to wall/ledge, which is a cool dive if you haven't done it. The dive shop organizes snorkeling trips as well including spearfishing. It's on a small, self contained island and completely accessible by bike, so your children won't be stuck if you decide to go fishing without them.

For wade fishing, I'm a big fan of Eleuthera. The accessible wade fishing is probably why it's such a DIY destination. Have seen plenty of fish in summer and winter. Manex Newton of Coco Loba Tours is a great guide and only does wade trips. He can also set up diving or lead cave tours and snorkeling trips where you can see pygmy seahorses for your daughter. There aren't many big hotels or resorts on Eleuthera, but we like The Other Side. Eleuthera is an easy place to just rent a house if you want to go that way, but you definitely need a car in Eleuthera.

Harbour Island, just off Eleuthera, also has easily accessed wadable flats, but they're not as expansive as on Eleuthera. The guides typically fish from boats and you'll end up spending a lot of time on airport flats, which has some of the most educated fish anywhere. Harbour Island does have more hotels/resorts than Eleuthera and is entirely accessible by golf cart, so your children can get around without you. There is some great snorkeling there too, especially if you are into sea turtles.

K3anderson mentioned Long Island, and it's a great fishery basically year round. Unfortunately it isn't very wadeable. Stella Maris is the fishing hub for the island, and Docky Smith is the celebrity guide on the island. He also does other outings like swimming with the pigs and snorkeling if you want to schedule some activities that are more your daughter's speed. You do need a car on Long Island.

We have fished with Docky and had a great time. Another Long Island guide is Locksley Cartwright. If you arent staying at a lodge, plan on taking a lot of your own food. There’s only one grocery and its pretty bad by our standards. A pound of frozen shrimp was $36.

Here’s a house we’ve rented before that we highly recommend! http://www.whymmsvillas.com/. You can fish the flat in front of the house and it comes with a boat that’ll get you to other flats if you want to fish on your own.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts

With all due respect I would strongly advise you to stay away from Eluthera if bonefish is your main objective and primary target. Although it was not considered to be a "bonefish destination" it used to be our favorite islands back in the day and we wouldn't cross paths or see another angler for two weeks but we stopped going there about twelve or fifteen years ago because of the immense pressure on the fishery that transpired making the bonefish impossible to approach ! We used to have the island to ourselves because no one really fished it back then but an englishman came down one year and unfortunately that was the beginning of the end. Most if not all the flats on the island are accessible by car and that's where the problem lies. After he familiarized himself with the island he started selling trips back in the UK providing his clients with a detailed driving map to all the flats, set them up with a rental vehicle and accommodation and that was the end of that. He wasn't doing anything illegal but it created so much pressure on the fishery that the bones became so schizophenic they would make Islamorada bones look tame.
Having said all that Eluthera is certainly a beautiful and pristine Island with stunning pink sand beaches and worm welcoming people always smiling and waving at tourists.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts

I 2nd Kamalame Cay as a destination for couples / family.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Lots of good info here. Kamalame is a beautiful place and although on the higher price side, it is a great place. We are doing San Pedro town this year after a number of years going to Punta Allen,MX. Havent been since 2009 and although I am a little worried its changed in 10yrs due to natural growth but also the HGTV househunter type crowd. We are renting a house fishing with a guide a few days and also doing some DIY. For us, that is part of the fun and adds a little adventure.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Lots of good info here. Kamalame is a beautiful place and although on the higher price side, it is a great place. We are doing San Pedro town this year after a number of years going to Punta Allen,MX. Havent been since 2009 and although I am a little worried its changed in 10yrs due to natural growth but also the HGTV househunter type crowd. We are renting a house fishing with a guide a few days and also doing some DIY. For us, that is part of the fun and adds a little adventure.
Funny you say that as my friends who moved to SP were on house hunters international...and how I scored a deal on housing while down there this winter. Let me know if you would like some DIY intel via DM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts