Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Wish'n I was Fish'n!
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no particular reason I picked up a free rental compression tester at AutoZone while I was there for some other stuff on Thursday. Pulled plugs, put the tester on top, gave it a spin. EIGHTY! middle SEVENTY-FIVE! bottom SEVENTY-SEVEN

After 48 anxious hours I tested it again with a different gauge at the Yamaha dealer and found 118T-110M-118B

Lesson Learned: Don't trust free diagnostic test equipment from a place that only sells parts.

·
Cert. Yamaha technician
4,330 Posts
There wasnt really anything wrong with the guage technically. Im sure it was very used and probably dropped a few times.... but it still gave readings within 10percent of each other. Also EVERY guage is different, and ive proven that to my snap on guy by taking 2 brand new guages off his shelf and testing the same motor back to back.
also you need to be checking your compression on a warm, just ran motor for more accurate results

·
I Love microskiff.com!
41 Posts
There wasnt really anything wrong with the guage technically. Im sure it was very used and probably dropped a few times....  but it still gave readings within 10percent of each other. Also EVERY guage is different, and ive proven that to my snap on guy by taking 2 brand new guages off his shelf and testing the same motor back to back.
also you need to be checking your compression on a warm, just ran motor for more accurate results

true !

you're looking for uniformity - "specs" are often misleading

compression tester results will vary

1 - 3 of 3 Posts