Bad - Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photo Hut' started by paint it black, Dec 30, 2009.

1. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

I have no idea how to shoot pictures in such a dark night.

I had to have the shutter speed SO slow.
    It was at 2....

Plus the slow moving boat, makes for a grainy picture.
    I would assume a tripod from land would work, but I have no idea what I could have done to come out better from a moving boat.

Any help would be highly appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. aaronshore

aaronshore Well-Known Member

ISO set as high as it would go and aperature open as far as it will go is your best chance. Other than that , for the best shot, use a good tri-pod from land, set your ISO at 100 and your aperature at f/16. Your exposure should be around 30 seconds.  Make sure your shutter is set on a time delay or you will get camera shake. Play with that one. ;)

Nice shot though.

3. paint it black

Had the ISO at 1600, shutter speed at two.
    That's how it came out.
    I took three pics, that was the best one of the three.

4. aaronshore

The two is actually 1/2 as in 1/2 or .5 seconds. Try the tripod settings I suggested. You will be surprised.

5. GTSRGTSR

GTSRGTSR Well-Known Member

I like the photo!!! is that 17th street Ft Lauderdale?

6. paint it black

That is actually the bridge that leads into the port of Miami.
    Or so I assume.
    I know it runs just south of the American Airlines Arena.
    I took a few pics of that too, but those turned out really bad.

7. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

Something else that I have found out. When trying to take shots like that, having a remote shutter switch is important as well as the tri-pod. I got one for my nikon and it did wonders.

8. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Like Walt said a remote. Or set the timer. The key here is to not have the camera shake while the picture is being taken. Also if you have an AF/VR lens. Turn off the VR. it will turn on and off during long exposures causing the camera to shake.

9. paint it black

Cool.
    Sounds great.
    I will need to buy a tripod.
    Thanks for all the help.

10. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

When you look into a tripod, make sure it is reeeeeeeeeeeel sturdy! There are a ton of them out there, but for a DSLR, make sure you get a sturdy one. Another item to look for is a quick removeable mount. This way when you have to either mount or dismaount the camera, you aren't screwing the camera to the tripond each time. When I bought my tripod, it came with 2 bases and I always keep one attached to my camera at all times. Tripods are like everything else, you get what you pay for! Depending on what lenses you are using, the bigger telephoto lenses really start to add weight and you want to have a tripod that can handle the legth of the lense along with the weight of it and the camera.
    As to the remote, I got a tethered switch (connects by a wire) and it is kind short. The cable is only 3 feet long, I wish I had a wireless one. The down fall to the wireless, extra batteries for remote and they have to be line of site most of the time from what I read.
    One place that I got to alot for info is Steves Digicam http://forums.steves-digicams.com/  , they have alot of info and they do alot of reveiws on all kinds of stuff. Good luck and the pic isn't that bad for free hand, I kinda like it!!!!

11. aaronshore

You do get what you pay for with tripods. Look for a Bogen-Manfrotto on ebay. Hopefully you can find a deal. They are the best. I paid $600 for mine. :eek:

12. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

[smiley=eek.gif] [smiley=eek2.gif] [smiley=eek.gif]

I bet it's sweeeeet!! Is it carbofiber or wood?

13. aaronshore

Actually, its designed for outdoor use and is made of heavy duty aluminum. Fully extended it can reach a little over 6' high. Also, it can hold up to like 45 pounds or something stupid like that.

14. paint it black

Wow, maybe I'll take baby steps as I progress at taking pictures! lol

$600, that's almost a Tibor reel!

15. Weedy

Weedy Well-Known Member

I only paid $100 bucks for mine and it does and ok job. Check craigs list and evilbay, no one says it has to be brand new!

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/pho/1510934529.html
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1495420528.html
    http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/pho/1518236918.html
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Quantaray-QSX-9500-Heavy-Duty-Tripod-with-Fluid-Head-S_W0QQitemZ180451369636QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a03bd62a4

16. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

A tripod is great on the land but you wont be able to take this photo from the boat with it because the boat is still moving.
    You need to use the tactic called "flash and burn" Iso as high as you can go for your camera with out it being grainy, aperture 2.0 or as open as your lens will go (no need for depth of field here because there is nothing behind the bridge, shutter speed around 1/8 up to 1/40 sec( depending on the ambient light), and TURN ON THE FLASH!!! I know it sounds weird but trust me , it will work. You might have to play with the settings some as every situation is different. But the flash wont reach to the subject but it will freeze the action from the moving boat. Kinda like a strobe light in a night club.

Jason

17. paint it black

I tried with flash, and the pics were worse. lol

And I know the tripod wont work from a boat.
    There were a crapload of people on Watson Island taking pictures of the bridge using tripods.
    It looked funny seeing all the flash coming from the spot and like 8 tripods lined up.

18. snooknreds2

snooknreds2 Well-Known Member

What were the other settings that you had? When you do this method, which I have never tried from a boat and it may be sh$^ from a boat, one thing that comes to mind is not to bounce the flash off the inside of the bright white boat. You would be best standing on the gunnel but then the camera would be rocking and rolling even more so it s a tough call. When I shoot weddings I will shoot at like f/4, ISO 400 and shutter speed 1/30 of a second and it freezes the motion of people dancing with out blurry effect from them swinging their arms like a mad man..LOL