Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have been through the inlet a few times. It can be ridiculous when the tide is at max velocity. Don’t get sideways. It will swallow you alive.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Here's how it happens... You go out the inlet on one tide, but return when the tide has changed and is going out - and the wind is howling out of the east... Very bad outcome. My best advice for anyone seeing that kind of waters is to go to another, more forgiving inlet - or simply stand off and wait however long it takes for the tide to turn back to incoming - then ride it in...

I've been out of inlets in very bad seas in fifty footers back when I was mating on charterboats and had serious questions as to whether we'd make it once or twice... We were behind a charterman called "Therapy" many years ago when it was so bad that Therapy was stopped in her tracks while eastbound by a very bad wave that broke over the flying bridge. She was so hard down by the bow (we were right behind her... going out of Haulover inlet) that you could see her wheels, props, and shafts along with the live well draining... That live well was located about fifteen feet forward of her transom... The captain, Jack Wiggins, was a master. When he realized that he was in danger of broaching (turning sideways to the waves) he quickly powered forward with one engine while hammering the other into reverse, spinning Therapy around and starting her back inside... It was a sight I've never forgotten - way back in 1973.

Mother nature doesn't fool around... Disrespect her and that might just be the last thing you ever do...

·
Registered
701 Posts
This is why local research and all the tide and wind sensors / apps available are so useful.

If anyone has ever been through a jetty / inlet you know, wind against tide / current will likely get pretty western. It is very simple, a two minute glance at tide app and wind app when you wake up will help avoid this danger.

·
Carpe Diem
1,800 Posts
My grandfather drowned at Haulover. Back in the day it was called Bakers Haulover. It's a bad place when the tide and wind are wrong.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
This is why local research and all the tide and wind sensors / apps available are so useful.

If anyone has ever been through a jetty / inlet you know, wind against tide / current will likely get pretty western. It is very simple, a two minute glance at tide app and wind app when you wake up will help avoid this danger.
The washing machine...I’ve run a Mowdy 26’ cat in and out of the jetties and had some western moments and it’s almost twice as long.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,503 Posts
Have been through there in a Mako 262 (self bailing hull)...no way in hell I'd take a skiff through...no way...

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Scary man. Glad he's ok. I remember being with my dad running Lockwood Folly inlet in NC. We were in a 22' Mako and that was some white knuckle stuff at times. No way I'd try that in any skiff.

·
Registered
701 Posts
It is like anything else us males do at times, aahhhhhh....., we can make it. Luckily I have grown out of that and technology has made it a real stupid decisions with the info we have at our fingertips.

Really glad he is ok. No fish is worth a life.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts