Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, after 2+ years I am out-growing my mangrove 8wt and looking to upgrade to a faster stick.
However, at some point I'd also like to have another 8wt as a backup or second rod I can rig up for a different species while I'm on the water.

Option 1 is to keep the mangrove and get something faster so that, with both, I can cover a wider range of fishing situations. (is that even important???)

Option 2 is to leave behind medium action rods all together, sell the mangrove for something faster, and later pick up another rod with a similar action.

If I'm being honest, I don't see myself bringing 2 rods with me EVERY time I go out (mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to clean 2 rods, 2 reels, and 2 lines every time)- but on some days it would be nice to have a rod ready to go when that big mama snook slides out of the shadows when you've been redfishing with 12lb. But I definitely know it would be great to still be able to fish while you're waiting for that broken rod to be repaired.

I'm leaning towards the first option because I can think of a few scenarios (redfishing inside 40ft or casting intermediate/full sinking lines) where I might actually prefer something a little slower. But I'm also not an expert so I'm open to having my mind changed! Interested to see what you guys think..

If anyone wants to talk rods, I'm lusting hard after the sage maverick...

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I never go out for a day on the water with just one rod. For a ton of reasons not the least of which what happens when you break your rod on the first cast of the day? Either option you are considering are fine. Going out with just one rod ....not so fine....IMO.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
If anyone wants to talk rods, I'm lusting hard after the sage maverick...
I have a Sage Maverick 8wt with a Rio Summer Redfish line on it. It casts really, really nice in that 40-60' range. Loads nicely. I'll be putting a bonefish line on it this winter when its time to throw small flies at spooky reds. That will tell me more about the rod.

Its obviously slower than my Loomis NRX 8wt which I have set up for beach snook with a sink tip intermediate line at the moment.

My advice would be to go to a local store and cast the Maverick yourself.

I think I'll end up throwing the Maverick a lot in back bays and backwaters. But I don't think it comes close to the NRX on an open flat where you need long deliveries and the ability to pick up alot of line...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Sage Maverick 8wt with a Rio Summer Redfish line on it. It casts really, really nice in that 40-60' range.

Its obviously slower than my Loomis NRX 8wt which I have set up for beach snook with a sink tip intermediate line.

My advice would be to go to a local store and cast the Maverick yourself.

For example...I heard lots of good things about the TFO Mangrove but was not a fan when I cast it.
Thanks! Yea once my local shop restocks the 8wt, I'm for sure going to do that. I casted the 11 and it was pretty sweet. The only other rod I'm considering is the Lamson standard seat, not sure if you've casted that one yourself. Curious to know how to compares to the maverick. I casted it last week, its super crisp.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
The only other rod I'm considering is the Lamson standard seat, not sure if you've casted that one yourself. Curious to know how to compares to the maverick. I casted it last week, its super crisp.
If you are talking about the grey Lamson rod, I have cast it a bit as well. I like it too. But I have not cast it side by side with the Maverick for a direct comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I never go out for a day on the water with just one rod
On another thread they were talking about snook busting bait and what/how to's to get them to eat.
In that situation, even if the rod in hand has a streamer that I think might do it, I'll pick up my popper rod and throw some top water goodness.
For me casting top water flys to big fish is just as exciting as casting a streamer to big mama...

·
Registered
918 Posts
jump with both feet down the rabbit hole and buy another rod & reel. it never hurts to have too much. is there really such a thing as too many??? i am yet to reach that point. you dont have to break the bank for somthing faster. just get a bvk. its a great rod for the $$.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
I go out with 5 fly rods every day. So much easier to grab something that is rigged and ready for what you want to do with proper bite tippet, right flies, hooks etc. If my skiff held more fly rods easily, I would probably bring more. I hate rerigging while out fishing if I don't have to.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
I would keep the mangrove and get something else and see how it goes. You can always sell the mangrove later if changing your casting stroke is messing you up between the fast and moderate rods.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No problem keeping the slow rod. Use it to teach someone how to fly fish. A slower rod is generally easier to learn on. My old tfo 8wt has had a lot of good use teaching people how to fly cast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Rick hambric @timogleason Curious to know how you personally deal with switching between rods of different action.. Is it annoying? Does it take you awhile to nail down the stroke, or are you dialed back in after a 2-3 casts?

·
Registered
918 Posts
@Rick hambric @timogleason Curious to know how you personally deal with switching between rods of different action.. Is it annoying? Does it take you awhile to nail down the stroke, or are you dialed back in after a 2-3 casts?
FIRST MONTH YOU NOTICE A DIFFERENCE. AFTER A WHILE YOU DONT NOTICE ANYTHING. THE PRINCIPLES OF CASTING REMAIN THE SAME. MAKE THE SAME STROKE, AND KEEP THROWING LOOPS.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Rick hambric @timogleason So sorry, I should have phrased that differently. I meant to ask about how you deal with the switch in the same outing. Like if you're throwing a mangrove, then decide to pick up your BVK to bomb a cast to a snook thats crashing bait 60ft away or something. Surely that requires a bit of adjustment to your stroke, right? How is that transition for you?

Which is why I wonder if it might actually be a hinderance to have 2 rods with different actions...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
505 Posts
I tend to get the different stroke in a few swings while switching back and forth. I fish every day though. Give it a try. If it bugs you at that point, change it out. You will probably be fine. That slower rod might be just the ticket for those closer in presentations. That what it was designed for. Faster rod if you need to bomb something out there a bit.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts