Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best options for backing? I just changed all my reels and need backing for a few Tibors. It is my understanding that Tibors don't have huge line capacities.

I've had micron and hatch but sold those reels before I had any wear on them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I usually just go to the fly shop and have them put dacron on.
Unless your chasing pelagics/billfish/tarpon on foot, the capacity on Tibors are good enough.
I did put gel spun on my Abel super 11/12N because the arbor is so narrow for a Tarpon reel. (I put this statement in just to hear the buzzsaw arguments to follow)

·
Registered
972 Posts
It ain't cheap but Im using the Seaguar threadlock as it is 16-carrier hollow core and lays flats and silk smooth. Plus I create a loop splice so no knots or your can splice in your fly line as well. Been using it a few years now and I love it. I have used the 50lb and 60lb. Some reels I use all threadlock and some I topshot the Cortland Micron with 100yds of threadlock.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,981 Posts
Depending on the model, most 7,8,9 wt reels have a 250 yard backing capacity for dacron. If you allow a fish to get out 200+ yards while fighting it, you have bigger problems than the type or amount of backing. On big game reels, I cannot imagine ever needing more than 300-400 yards. I know the Tibor Pacific has like a 700 yard capacity but it also a reel that can take on billfish. As far as a type of backing, Cortland, SA, and Orvis all make decent backing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.