Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so for thanksgiving i'm staying on marathon...doing some google earth scouting it doesn't look like the greatest spot for shallow water fishing..i could be wrong but it looks decently deep all around no mangrove islands, am i stuck running to other keys or Florida bay to get some shallow water fishing in or is it decent around there?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I fished with Matt Pribyl a few years back there in August. The ocean side flat that is all sandy south of key colony beach is shallow on low tide. We were sight casting to bonefish.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Plenty of shallow water and mangrove islands around there. My fishing there since the last century has been around Bahia Honda and Big Pine (both just south of there). But rest assured, you can find some skinny water and some mangrove islands. My last trip I had a ball when I staked out the boat and waded around some mangrove islands casting small flies at mangrove snappers with the 2 weight. I saw tarpon in 1-2 feet of water every day.

Back in the sixties when I lived in south Florida, I seldom went down past Marathon to fish. If you want a lot of mangrove shorelines head up to Islamorada and the gulf side. To a lesser extent, down to Big Pine Key and beyond. You'll find shallow flats all up and down the Keys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
perfect! thank you guys! i was just a bit concerned on the google maps so i wanted some professional opinions. I don't mind running but if i can stay close n hit the big three id rather do that

·
Registered
11 Posts
I fish around marathon a lot and there’s definitely a few good places right around there. On the ocean side off of curry hammock state park there’s some good tarpon flats in 3-4’ water and some good wading for bones a little shallower. If you’re also just looking to bend the rod there’s a great shoal right at the north end of 7 mile that always has some barracuda around it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This time of year, the Spanish Mackerel are plentiful. Couple blocks of chum, sweetened with a handful of glass minnows every so often, you’re good to go. Mucho fun on a fly rod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts