Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Back to my roots in Islamorada

1269 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  John Patrick
Hello all. Introducing myself on the site and a bit of my story.

Being a south Florida native, I’ve spent my life on the water. I began fishing Flamingo with my father as a child in 1980. Sight fishing for redfish and snook was our primary method of fishing. Setting my sights on moving to the Keys to become a guide quickly became my goal. Twelve days after my 20th birthday, I passed the USCG test and received my Master 50 Ton and moved to the Keys two months later. I worked at the original World Wide Sportsman for a little over a year and pulled the plug and started guiding. I began chartering out of Papa Joe’s Marina in 1996 and also the Lor E Lei. Fished a lot of trips from Florida Keys Outfitters. In 2010 I took a private capt job for the founder of Bonefish & Tarpon Trust.
I recently moved back to Islamorada from Key Largo and am transitioning back into guiding. Planning on spending a lot of time in Whitewater Bay, lower Keys as well as Florida Bay and Islamorada.
If I can help anyone out, in any way, please feel free to reach out to me.
GW De Pauw
Reactions: 5
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Welcome!
Reactions: 1
Looking forward to hearing your stories and advice, @Captgw - Welcome!
Reactions: 1
Looking forward to hearing your stories and advice, @Captgw - Welcome!
Would love to share. Let me know what I can try to help you with
Hey GW. Welcome back. See you at the Lorelei during the Lucerne? Luck with the fishing.
Hello all. Introducing myself on the site and a bit of my story.

Being a south Florida native, I’ve spent my life on the water. I began fishing Flamingo with my father as a child in 1980. Sight fishing for redfish and snook was our primary method of fishing. Setting my sights on moving to the Keys to become a guide quickly became my goal. Twelve days after my 20th birthday, I passed the USCG test and received my Master 50 Ton and moved to the Keys two months later. I worked at the original World Wide Sportsman for a little over a year and pulled the plug and started guiding. I began chartering out of Papa Joe’s Marina in 1996 and also the Lor E Lei. Fished a lot of trips from Florida Keys Outfitters. In 2010 I took a private capt job for the founder of Bonefish & Tarpon Trust.
I recently moved back to Islamorada from Key Largo and am transitioning back into guiding. Planning on spending a lot of time in Whitewater Bay, lower Keys as well as Florida Bay and Islamorada.
If I can help anyone out, in any way, please feel free to reach out to me.
GW De Pauw
Sounds like a very interesting journey! Welcome!
Hey GW. Welcome back. See you at the Lorelei during the Lucerne? Luck with the fishing.
Many thanks! Don’t think I’ll be fishing it this year but might make a guest appearance!!!
Can I hire you to teach a old man the Backcountry, lol.
Welcome from another new member. I love Islamorada. I live in MD. Unfortunately.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts