Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That's because he flies his stuff in direct to municipal airports. We have 8-12 a day coming into ours, and they are gearing up for 40 plus.
No doubt some stuff for sure. I googled it. When a 747 is configured as a freighter, it can carry 26,000 cubic feet of stuff. The Ever Given class ships can carry 23,000,000 cubic feet of stuff. I can only assume that some palms are getting greased that control the docking schedules.

·
BBA Counselor
7,288 Posts
No doubt some stuff for sure. I googled it. When a 747 is configured as a freighter, it can carry 26,000 cubic feet of stuff. The Ever Given class ships can carry 23,000,000 cubic feet of stuff. I can only assume that some palms are getting greased that control the docking schedules.
Oh yes, there was a report about pay to play at the ports. Those planes though are flying 24/7 throughout the US. Smaller volumes, but transported at 200+mph instead of 12 knotts.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Got an email last week that that the Minn Kota's should be in stock on the 9th,
today the 11th, not a peep from them.

·
Curmudgeon Emeritus
1998 Egret C/K 167
5,258 Posts
Suzuki outboards (pending HP) up to 5 months back ordered.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'd like to know what is really going on.
From the few articles I've read it's supposed to have to do with manufacturers depending on vender parts being delivered as needed so they don't have to maintain a large parts inventory.

So what happened?
Did they stop making the parts due to the "pandemic" ?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'd like to know what is really going on.
From the few articles I've read it's supposed to have to do with manufacturers depending on vender parts being delivered as needed so they don't have to maintain a large parts inventory.

So what happened?
Did they stop making the parts due to the "pandemic" ?
JIT inventory for production is a main cause from my research as well.
It’s a big trickle down which is complicated by often having large distances between suppliers and manufacturers.
Not only are there production backlogs but there is a shipping crunch brought on by container shortages and port congestion once pieces do begin moving.

·
Premium Member
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I think there's more to the story, especially with computer chips.
Shipping, chips could go by air tomorrow.

Personally think "Big Tec" and China are screwing us and the USA

·
Registered
997 Posts
I think there's more to the story, especially with computer chips.
Shipping, chips could go by air tomorrow.

Personally think "Big Tec" and China are screwing us and the USA
i think the limited production is going to the highest bidder/most profitable and large companies aren’t yet willing to pay a premium.

these back orders and shortages have certainly shown the importance of domestic manufacturing on certain items, particularly from a national security perspective.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I saw a piece on Maersk shipping lines. Their revenue and EBIT is up nicely. In the same piece they said that shipping costs comprise

27% of the value of small appliances
41% of the value of large appliances
62% of the value of assembled furniture

Make sense

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I have a piece of machinery on back order. was supposed to be mid july, was revised to mid/late august. good chance that may not happen. I suck at this waiting game.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I saw a piece on Maersk shipping lines. Their revenue and EBIT is up nicely. In the same piece they said that shipping costs comprise

Make sense
and it's still substantially cheaper than making stuff here.

·
Registered
997 Posts

Make sense
recently watched similar, possibly the same.

shipping capacity is driving rates up. Domestic truckload, intermodal/train all have similar markets.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts