Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into putting new nonskid on my flats boat and the shop is asking if I want it to be done with awlgrip or with gel coat. Gel coat is 1000$ more expensive. Is the gel coat worth the extra money even though the boat will always be covered and indoors?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends what the are using for the nonskid in the Awlgrip. Awlgrip makes a product, a motoryacht I use to run was Awlgrip with a a pumas type sand. Was good and easy on the feet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is a synthetic sand material that is used as an additive to the Urethane or Gel. They should have completed jobs for you to check out so that you can see the texture. I don't see the 1K price difference to get gel myself, but im a fan of urethane in the first place.

·
Registered
21 Posts
griptex is the name of that product....it mixes with awl grip or gelcoat. If you are going to do gelcoat antiskid. I recommend rolling it...super easy. Will spend more time prepping and taping than rolling, as with most things.. Look at a product called duratec gloss additive.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,675 Posts
My Gordon non-skid was done with Awlgrip. It looks great and I'm sure it will last longer than I'm gonna be around. Also found a product called Awlcare 73240 to protect it and Awlwash to clean it up (which is a breeze since it is well-maintained). "Awlcare is a hand applied, non-abrasive, synthetic polymer. It will remove mild stains, water spots and diesel soot while increasing resistance to attack from acid rain and other pollutants, when applied regularly."

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,447 Posts
I'd choose Awlgrip non skid over gel coat. Cheaper and lighter than gel coat. Not necessarily any easier to repair if needed, they are about the same amount of work for a shop. Resin costs have gone up a lot so that might be why its so much more than the Awlgrip. I had it on my last skiff, it was great. Super durable and easy to clean.

Reactions: J_orta

·
I Love microskiff.com!
251 Posts
I’d pick Awlgrip. The only real downside is it’s harder to color match for repairs but the ease of cleanup makes it totally worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a shop I was going to do it with in Miami but they said I had to wait over a month. Anyone know of any places near the area to get this non skid work done?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts