Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Not really one to bash companies on the internet but after the experience I had I need to put the word out there so no one runs into the issue I had. I plan on just giving facts about what happened vs my opinion and let you take away from that what you want to. I decided to use this company based on some positive reviews from my area.

On July 26th I dropped my boat off at the Skiff Outfitters in Holly Hill, Florida. I wanted to have the non skid redone along with the hull buffed out and patched. I was given the quote and time frame of 2-3 weeks, at which I gave 50% of the quote upfront. Fast forward to week 3, I texted the guy asking the status and he said another week. The weekend of week 4 comes around and I texted him Friday asking if the boat was completed and no response, texted Saturday morning, no response, called Saturday night and no answer. I then called Sunday morning, no response, texted, No response, and called Sunday night and no response. Monday comes around and I finally get a response. Weekend of week 5 comes around and it is the same outcome as week 4. At this point I started to lose patience. Week 6 comes around which is hurricane Dorian and the work was apparently put on "hold" which is understandable. Beginning of week 7 is here and I ask for the status of the boat. I get "it is heading to the paint booth on Wednesday night and will be ready no later than Sunday Night". Sunday Morning September 14th comes around and I ask if the boat will be ready. He does not respond all day Sunday. I finally get a response from him Monday night after I tell him to stop working on the boat and will be coming to get it today and taking it to The Skiff Shop. He responded by telling me that it is headed to the paint booth as we speak ( I had heard that before) still had him stop all work and went and got it.

After I picked up the boat I noticed that in 7 weeks the only thing that had been done was the non skid had been sanded off and the rub rail had been removed. It was in no position to have non skid sprayed and would have been another week or two plus.

At the end of all this I am out my 50% deposit as I wasn't going to fight over it at this point as I just wanted my boat back and the only benefit is that The Skiff Shop doesn't have to sand off the non-skid.

What was suppose to be a joyful time getting the boat restored was ruined by poor communication and a poorly run business.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a new motor installed by them. Dropped my skiff off May 24th, and picked it up June 23...... I was not pleased to say the least. They also charged me 300$ more than the original quote I was given. Not a great experience....

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Whatever their current address... they won't be there if this is the kind of service they do.... That's why most of us, if we can, want to hear from folks we know that have had good outcomes with a service we need ourselves. Hope whoever you find does a better job...

By the way, over the years I've had many reports of this sort of stuff about one boat shop or other... wish it weren't so...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Might be a good idea to post the address because I.m not seeing a google listing.
Yea this is the address of the new shop and where I picked my boat up from.

804 Carswell Ave. Holly Hill, Florida

The website still not completed says Edgewater but the shop is now in Holly Hill. I’m sure it will change again.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unfortunately, this is par for the course for most of these shops.
Hell's Bay replaced my fuel cell in two weeks, which was an exceptional turn around.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I think most boat owners will put up with a long wait -to get a good job done... The hard part is that the shop has to be upfront about how long - before they can actually start a job. Giving timeline - after timeline that's found to be false - isn't good business at all...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
I appreciate the review as at some point I will be looking to get the same work done to my skiff.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
Aren’t these the guys that were supposed to be coming out with their own skiff soon? If so this doesn’t seem like a good start.

·
Registered
679 Posts
My experience with getting a skiff worked on..... if you want it done in the time frame you want, take it to Hell's Bay, depending on what brand you have or whatever but you WILL pay more. If you are trying to save some money for great quality work but time is not the issue, Skiff Shop. Tom Gordan and his staff do great work. Tom is not great on communicating but I've watched what all goes on up there in a days work as I was waiting on him to finish a few things and sometimes I don't blame him for not answering his phone. Best thing you can do with Tom is not bother him and let him get to it when he can. He's honest about that. I've done a lot of business with him. I have dropped my boat off, told him I'd be back in 3 weeks, and when I got there he was finishing it up. Never called him until the morning of when I was going to pick it up.

These companies I feel like you just have to be patient with them.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
When I refurbished my Waterman last year, I communicated and tried to line up the work with every shop mentioned on this post, as well as a shop in Islamorada . I wasn’t in a rush, but also didn’t want to be without a skiff for 2-3 months.

After it was all said and done I ended up at Hell’s bay and had the pleasure of dealing with Paul in their service Dept. In my experience, their price was fair (actually the second most affordable of the 3 quotes I got. Never heard back from Skiff Shop), the work was completed on time, within budget and the skiff was delivered on the date we agreed upon. Instead of months, I was skiffless for 2 weeks. They sent me daily emails with updates and pictures of the work without me having to ask for them. They also found a small crack to one of the strakes on the hull that I was unaware of and we were able to address it, get the glass work done, all without delaying delivery.

Paul and his crew also took care of a few little details like fresh bungies on the rod holders, new bulkhead decals and even adjusted the skiff on the trailer. All on the house!

They earned a loyal customer and I highly recommend anyone looking to get work done on their skiff to give Paul and his crew a call.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts