Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
546 Posts
I've got two TFO inshore rods, a ML and M both 7' and love them both. I use the ML for jigs/plastics and the M for swimbaits and topwaters. I find they're a little stiffer than most other ML's I've used in the past, but for the money a very good rod. I've never cast the Avid Inshore but heard good things. I like the color but don't like the longer, full cork grips.

They also have the new tactical elite rods which I got the chance to cast and liked alot. They are "bass" rods so a little stiffer and don't have a ML but the guides should be good for Saltwater with just a little care. And while not as aesthetically pleasing as cork, the winn grips feel great fishing all day.

· Registered
261 Posts
Avid is all I use. Love them but wish they were the old red/copper color vs the silly green. Still buy them anyhow.

· Panhandler
4,292 Posts
St. Croix does seem to like an unusual palette with the color of rod blanks. But their graphite is very good and all the components are top notch, too. Good range of rod action, too.

I've owned TFO in the past, but they always seemed too rigid for my normal arsenal (ADL spoons, DOA shrimp and soft plastics).

· Registered
263 Posts
St. Croix does seem to like an unusual palette with the color of rod blanks. But their graphite is very good and all the components are top notch, too. Good range of rod action, too.
If you’re looking for a more conservative color, try the St Croix Legend Tournament Inshore. They’re Terrific rods. Slightly stiffer and faster action, with a keeper ring on the reel seat. Beautiful midnight blue but $100 more than an Avid. My favorite rod but it’s pushing the limits of my rod budget.
I've owned TFO in the past, but they always seemed too rigid for my normal arsenal (ADL spoons, DOA shrimp and soft plastics).

· Panhandler
4,292 Posts
My favorite SC's are the Legend Inshore. Dark green blank and fantastic action for my style of fishing. Unfortunately discontinued but I check eBay often to see if any pre-owned pop up. I have them paired with Stellas and Metaniums and only use them for tournaments.

For daily use, the E6X spin and bait casting rods are a good choice for the money for factory rods. The Avids are nice too, but again a little beefier than I like.

· Registered
263 Posts
My favorite SC's are the Legend Inshore. Dark green blank and fantastic action for my style of fishing. Unfortunately discontinued but I check eBay often to see if any pre-owned pop up. I have them paired with Stellas and Metaniums and only use them for tournaments.

For daily use, the E6X spin and bait casting rods are a good choice for the money for factory rods. The Avids are nice too, but again a little beefier than I like.
My favorites are the St Croix Legend Tournament Inshore rods. They’re a stylish dark blue for those who don’t like Avid green. A little stiffer and faster than my Avids. They also have a keeper ring on the reel seat (all rods should come with this). I use a 7’ Medium and a 7’6” Medium Light. Terrific rods IMO but $100 more than Avids and maybe not $100 better.

· Registered
1,026 Posts
I first thought the same thing about the green St Croix avid when looking at it online but when you look at my quiver of rods on my wall, it's actually the best looking one. Definitely like the color better than the brown it replaced.

I think it cost me about $100 or so to upgrade from the brown Avid I broke on a mangrove branch.

· Registered
341 Posts
FYI--St Croix's "freshwater" Avid's are the grey color. I fish both company's rods as my "go to" everyday inshore rigs, 6-8 lb. Both have fast actions. The Avid's are made in USA and have better quality components. The Avid's are also lighter. They're also twice the price then the TFO Professional series. For the $100, I think the TFO is a great rod...tight lines!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.