Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the average casting distance for saltwater, whether wading or from a boat? I am still practicing my casts and was interested in what the norm is. Thanks.

Rob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It depends a lot on the species and location you are fishing.

What are you fishing for and where?
Im fishing the area of Vero Beach and ft. pierce mainly. Targeting whatever is out there. I need more practice but just wanted to see where most people are at with their distances.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So what is the average casting distance for saltwater, whether wading or from a boat? I am still practicing my casts and was interested in what the norm is. Thanks.

Rob
Rob, To break it down, there is how far you can cast on a lawn with leader but no fly in ideal conditions, how far you can cast out of a boat With ideal line management setup, how far you can cast wading a shallow flat trailing stripped line vs shooting basket, all above with Wind, with heavily weighted or wind-resistant fly, etc. on the lawn you need to hit a dinner plate at 60’ with a minimum of false-casts, quickly, to have a prayer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob, To break it down, there is how far you can cast on a lawn with leader but no fly in ideal conditions, how far you can cast out of a boat With ideal line management setup, how far you can cast wading a shallow flat trailing stripped line vs shooting basket, all above with Wind, with heavily weighted or wind-resistant fly, etc. on the lawn you need to hit a dinner plate at 60’ with a minimum of false-casts, quickly, to have a prayer
Ok. Thanks. I appreciate it. Did some wade fishing today and was averaging about 40 feet or so but not accurate all the time. Time to practice some more. I am determined to become a good fly guy

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yard vs boat too diffrent things. For some reason you can throw darts in the grass and on the boat you look like zorro .. well at least i feel that way ....go figure
Accuracy over distance for me
I agree. Been practicing in the yard but got in the water today and was much different. LOL

·
Registered
469 Posts
Ok. Thanks. I appreciate it. Did some wade fishing today and was averaging about 40 feet or so but not accurate all the time. Time to practice some more. I am determined to become a good fly guy
Rob, once you develop some good line speed, focus on making an “O” with line hand thumb and index finger around the line to 1) feed it to the stripping guide and 2) Importantly, stop the shoot and be able to instantly Strip the fly

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Rob, once you develop some good line speed, focus on making an “O” with line hand thumb and index finger around the line to 1) feed it to the stripping guide and 2) Importantly, stop the shoot and be able to instantly Strip the fly
Ok. I will try that for sure. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Casting distance has so much to do with where you fish but I always tell my clients to practice to be accurate at 50 feet, minimum. Where I guide in Tampa Bay 50 feet is about the minimum distance where you may be able to fool Redfish or Snook in uniform depth skinny water. Most days I would rather have a guy who can throw 80 feet + reasonably accurate.

I've seen far more sloppy long casts convert than perfect short casts to alert fish.

Overall I would say that someone who throws long with control has a huge advantage.

The emphasis that I place on distance is completely directed to sight fishing in the skinny water. This style of fishing is the pinnacle of the sport and it takes skill, patience and dedication.

While you are learning and improving remember that the sight fishing is normally the end game for seasoned fly anglers.

Over time you will catch far more fish with 50 foot casts by slowly wading to the cuts where fish are laid up or stalking to fish that have their guard down while feeding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Casting distance has so much to do with where you fish but I always tell my clients to practice to be accurate at 50 feet, minimum. Where I guide in Tampa Bay 50 feet is about the minimum distance where you may be able to fool Redfish or Snook in uniform depth skinny water. Most days I would rather have a guy who can throw 80 feet + reasonably accurate.

I've seen far more sloppy long casts convert than perfect short casts to alert fish.

Overall I would say that someone who throws long with control has a huge advantage.

The emphasis that I place on distance is completely directed to sight fishing in the skinny water. This style of fishing is the pinnacle of the sport and it takes skill, patience and dedication.

While you are learning and improving remember that the sight fishing is normally the end game for seasoned fly anglers.

Over time you will catch far more fish with 50 foot casts by slowly wading to the cuts where fish are laid up or stalking to fish that have their guard down while feeding.
Ok. Great advice. I am still practicing my casts trying to improve them. Got a new rod and reel and am trying to throw it as much as possible.

G

·
0 Posts
I do some hunting in Africa and the question about casting distance is the same as yardage for accurate shots. Ive been saltwater fishing for about 30 years and can honestly say most of the fish Ive caught are within 40-50 feet.

Yes, if you can throw 60-70-80 feet, and have your fly land at the end of the fish that eats, you’ll probably have more opportunities. But like shooting a rifle, accuracy far outweighs distance.

A good PH in Africa knows to hunt to the clients ability, not his personal ability. That means if Im shooting 2 inch groups off the sticks at 100 yards, the PH needs to try to get most of my shots to within 100 yards - not 200 or 300.

I would focus on technique first, accuracy second and distance third. As you get to where you can hit a Frisbee 90% of the time at 40’, move it to 50’ and try again. As others have said, do this with a minimum of false casts and learn to pick up and change direction without loss of accuracy.

I practice about 30 minutes per day and there’s still a lot I can learn. You’ll get pretty good if you just practice - a lot.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Greg,

Do you follow some kind of program in your casting practice? When you practice, what do you do exactly?

G

·
0 Posts
Greg,

Do you follow some kind of program in your casting practice? When you practice, what do you do exactly?
Paul,

I cast my various rods with typical flies for the fish I would use those rods for. For saltwater, I sometimes stand on a cooler to add a little instability as though I was on a boat (Unfortunately, I dont live on the coast where I can get on a boat daily - yet!)

Then I place Frisbees at 9, 12 and 3 o’clock at 50’. I’ll rotate casting to each one until I am able to put the fly on the right or left side of the Frisbee as I wanted. I focus on technique so that I’ve got good line control, speed and form. (This builds muscle memory that can help you keep your casting under control when you step onto a boat and see a 150 lb tarpon swimming by and your knees go to jelly.)

Then I’ll move them out to about 60’ and repeat. I’ll do this with 3-4 rods and then call it a day.

Sometimes, if I’m feeling extra confident, I’ll spin around and use my backcast to try to get the same results. That rarely works out the way I would like it to!

I particularly like to do this on windy days.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
363 Posts
Rob, you are getting some great advice here. All that I will add is this; having lessons in the beginning is VERY helpful. One of the best casters in the state is a fellow named Dave Olsen, I believe he lives down your way. Do yourself a favor and try to get a hold of him for a lesson or two. I believe the folks out of Whites Tackle in FP, know him well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rob, you are getting some great advice here. All that I will add is this; having lessons in the beginning is VERY helpful. One of the best casters in the state is a fellow named Dave Olsen, I believe he lives down your way. Do yourself a favor and try to get a hold of him for a lesson or two. I believe the folks out of Whites Tackle in FP, know him well.
That is actually who set up my new line and reel. I took a class couple of years ago from him and I hadn't done much since. I am going to talk with him again about some techniques. He's pretty easy to talk with and says I can come by the shop and throw some and he will critique me.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts