AutoCad Programs

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by CurtisWright, Jan 17, 2013.

1. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

Hey, Do any of you builders out there use a CAD Program to design parts, or entire hulls?  What program do you use?  AutoCad Inventor Suits are $7,000+ 

I designed the hull I have now in Microsoft Excel, but I know I am going to want to build another hull in the years to come.  I am looking to do a better job on this one.

2. GoldSpoon

GoldSpoon I Love microskiff.com!

I run Auto-Cad for a living now.  You might try getting a boot leg copy but they really onto that right now.  Try to get something from pre 2006 and they not going to care to much about it.

ETA: How do you design parts on Excel?

3. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

http://www.polycad.co.uk/

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/

4. CurtisWright

I just curve fit two dimiensional equations into a 16ft long by 5ft wide by 2ft deep box. Then I assembled a flat platform and poped a chalk line grid on it then transfered my lines from excel to the platform. 

Recognize the Quadratic?  y=z*x^4 haha.
    [​IMG]

I did the same for the keel, but it was a combination of a straight line and a parabola. The lower chine is a parabola (x^2) and the splash rail is a Cubic (x^3)

[​IMG]

5. CurtisWright

Sweet. Thanks!

6. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Freeship and Rhino 3D are the best combo for boat design that I've used.

I use AutoCAD, Microstation, Revit, and Sketchup on a daily basis and wouldn't use any of those to design a boat if I could avoid it. Well, maybe just for 2d details. For 3d design.....use freeship and rhino.

7. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

You can run a free copy (time limited) of Autodesk if you are only going to do one job.

http://usa.autodesk.com/autocad/

I am old enough to just use slide rule, graph paper and spline to figure out the boats I build. Not so with aircraft though and there is a steep learning curve just for one boat.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

8. blittle

blittle I Love microskiff.com!

You're an engineer and you don't have access to cad?

Do you drive trains? Just kidding.

I've always had access to my works versions.

AutoCAD is ok for designing a skiff but I use my own technique I guess. I alway take my cross-sections and line them out on a 3D polyline so I can get a feel of what it's going to look like 3D.

I've had friends make 3D models for me on some hull designs but it really didn't help much as I already had a feel of it's shape.

9. CurtisWright

Yea, My employers policy is "we have drafters for that." It Really grinds my gears. All I have is AutoCAd light from school and It isnt good enough.

10. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Cadd....ptttthpt! ;)

Half scale builds are the way to go in order to figure out the shape
    and the construction problems to be encountered in the project.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bdefalco/Next

11. jaythefisherman

jaythefisherman I Love microskiff.com!

12. jaythefisherman

jaythefisherman I Love microskiff.com!

going to try to draw one out in mastercam you can get a free trial version from their site , as well as surfcam, bobcad, gibbscam and featurecam

13. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Although I have not tried it yet, AutoCAD has released Inventor Fusion 2013 free for download. check it out and see if that's something you might like.