Autism Society of Miami-Dade Fishing Tournament

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by tguasjr, Dec 4, 2009.

1. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

I'm going to start by giving a brief story of myself. My 2 year old son was diagnosed Autistic 6 years ago. One month later my daughter, 6 months old , was diagnosed with cancer.It was the hardest time of my life. Fast forward 6 years and my son is doing better because of intensive therapies and help he received and my daughter was declared cancer free December 19, 2008. That is why I have decided to do a  tournament, the "Autism Society of Miami-Dade Fishing Tournament" to give familes a different avenue that they may not have tried. Fishing is a great sport that my son and I enjoy together and hopefully we can introduce others to this great sport.

I have just begun planning the first official fishing tournament the Autism Society of Miami-Dade has ever done. The tentative date and location is April 24, 2010 at Homestead Bayfront park in Miami, Fl. This is a fun filled tournament geared towards autism awareness and enjoying a great pastime for all family members.This is a non-profit inshore/offshore tournament where every penny collected will go to the Autism Society of Miami-Dade to create a "Day of Fishing" program for Autistic children.
    Pugar from Custom Gheenoe has donated a 2010 NMZ to be raffled during our tournament. I need help getting door prize donations from anyone that can assist me or put me in contact with any vendors that you feel could help. This is my first venture into a fishing tournament since I've never even fished in one. I need your help and input. More details to follow......

2. Taterides

Taterides Well-Known Member

I should be able to get a few items donated from continental trailers. Just contact me when your ready.

3. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

4. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Well gentlemen and ladies, The date has been set, April 24, 2010. The 1st annual Julian A. Guas fishing for Autism Tournament will be held at Homestead Bayfront Park in Homestead, Fl. We decided to name the tournament after my son since he is my inspiration for doing this, We have made some changes to make it easier to handle the first year. The tournament will be a "Fun-Fishing" tournament with prizes for longest fish overall in multiple species and categories. The main Sponsor is Custom Gheenoe, with the donation of a 2010 NMZ that will be raffled off, Castaway Customs, Flanigans Restaurants, Miami-Dade County parks and recreation and some others to be finalized. Any help with sponsors and donations for the general raffle would be appreciated. Thank you, Tico.

5. Delmer

Delmer I Love microskiff.com!

I would be happy to build a couple of custom rods for the event. Send me a PM with your contact info.

6. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Hey guys,I sent both of you PM's. Perseverance 32 and Fishfreek. Thanks!

7. Capt Dan Medina

Capt Dan Medina Well-Known Member

what species are we looking to target?

8. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

On the inshore side we are going to have categories for sea trout, snook, tarpon, bonefish, permit, redfish, mangrove snapper and maybe others.

9. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

On the inshore side we are going to have categories for sea trout, snook, tarpon, bonefish, permit, redfish, mangrove snapper and maybe others.

10. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Alright, Its official. The raffle tickets are in and they are on fire. $5.00 gets you a chance to win a 2010 Custom Gheenoe NMZ boat with custom Sea-Dek by Castaway Customs and a Continental trailer. If you buy 4 tickets $20.00 You will get a 5th ticket free. Please email, PM or call me.

E-mail: funfishingmiami@hotmail.com

Phone: 786-223-8680 after 3pm please on weekdays, I work midnights.

Please make out all checks and money orders to: Autism Society of MiamiDade.

Mail all checks or money orders to:
    Tico Guas
    14723 SW 61 Terrace
    Miami FL, 33193

11. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

We now have a web site.
    www.autismfishing.com

12. Alonzo_Sotillo

Alonzo_Sotillo I Love microskiff.com!

Im in.. How much is the entry fee?

13. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

The entry fee is only $60.00 and includes 2 tickets for the Gheenoe raffle and the captains party after the tournament.

14. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Our web site has been updated and now has the latest sponsors, rules and regulations for the tournament and a downloadable version of the entry form. Please fill out the entry form and mail to:
    Orestes "Tico" Guas JR
    14723 SW 61 Terrace
    Miami FL, 33193

**Please make all checks payable to: Autism Society of Miami-Dade.

Thank you for your support

15. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Went down to the South Dade Anglers club tonite to do a short presentation about the tournament. Those guys are top notch and a class act. Thanks for the invite Hilrod.

16. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Here are some pics of the NMZ and trailer for the raffle. Check out the custom "puzzle piece" stickers representing autism. Avery special thanks to Pugar for his generosity and to Dustin for the awesome stickers. I liked them so much, I'm putting them on my new boat. Here ya go!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And my inspiration for the tournament!

[​IMG]

17. hoser3

hoser3 Well-Known Member

What a great cause and a nice boat as well.

18. paint it black

paint it black Paddling away...

Saw the ad in one of those free fishing news papers at BPS.

More than likely I will be fishing this.

19. tguasjr

tguasjr Fish Finaddict

Was it in coastal angler magazine?