Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,362 Posts
If you have a trolling motor with a removeable base make a base out of starboard that will fit on it with the motor removed and pin in place then mount the lights to it. Pole your passenger around and let them stab some flatties.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
0218191437.jpg
I used to ease the boat with d gig, drifting with d tide n some poling as well. So u think d flounder will hall arse wit d trolling motor? Really have not used it to flounder yet... Also my trolling motor bracket is fixed n welded. Forgot to mention, since I retired no-one else can flounder on weeknights n so I usually go solo n so that is with out some one on d push pole.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,362 Posts
To be very honest, a trolling motor needs way more water to run as quiet as is can than you can usually spot a flounder on bottom. I’ve been floundering in boats and on foot for over 30 years and have done a ton of R&D on flounder lights as well. You already know my stance on trolling motors used to try to sight cast fish in water that people should be either wading or poling. Same goes for gigging.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,362 Posts
We used to gig with home made gigs and single mantle Coleman lanterns full of Unleaded gasoline and you had to pump them up with a little thumb screw that had a vent hole in the middle so you’d have to quickly use your thumb as a check valve to pressure up the tank. Tin foil on the back of the globe for a reflector, a coat hanger and piece of water hose for a handle and we lit them with matches. Those were the times man. My father had me by his side gigging around 5 years old.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
We used to gig with home made gigs and single mantle Coleman lanterns full of Unleaded gasoline and you had to pump them up with a little thumb screw that had a vent hole in the middle so you’d have to quickly use your thumb as a check valve to pressure up the tank. Tin foil on the back of the globe for a reflector, a coat hanger and piece of water hose for a handle and we lit them with matches. Those were the times man. My father had me by his side gigging around 5 years old.
Never had to use a pump up lantern but we did use the foil on the back and duct taped the hanger to make a handle that wouldn’t get too hot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Smack daddy has some good advice. In my experience, I either go all out halogens with a generator poling or fan, or walk with a Coleman lantern and single spear gig.

LED’s suck as a flounder lights but if you do use a trolling motor, spray paint it black bro.

My all time record gigging was walking in pairs with a Coleman.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,362 Posts
Green or warm white LEDs kick ass. I won’t use a loud ass generator or hot PITA lantern again. I’ve gigged hundreds of flounder with the Eclipse LEDs wading. Halogens are still good, I won’t knock them but LEDs outperform them with efficiency, weight, longevity and they just work very well.
First flattie was in knee deep water, all of these were gigged using LEDs. I designed an aluminum housing for Oznium using their 10,20 and 50 watt Eclipse chip so you can easily DIY light setups and thread them on 1” PVC threads. They also make great hog hunting lights for feeders.
DCC257F5-8F67-43CC-98A4-5F9385F065B0.jpeg 919D636B-52DD-492A-AAB1-741411F7B93B.jpeg 2DFE24B7-4879-46DE-AD8C-F4A09892B2BE.jpeg C657378C-FFCF-48DD-8143-9B92754A9F83.jpeg 88B32E02-0C72-4C83-99A6-CFACF2E5910F.jpeg 6B880A94-76AF-479A-86C6-4B2E3B6E211A.jpeg 6D65B6A4-7ECF-4E0F-9364-4E18A3B96785.jpeg 0A6A63C6-0C2B-4F95-9BF9-46A9143C6002.jpeg

Attachments

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,362 Posts
That’s pretty impressive man, never saw the green floundering. Looks good.
It’s all about the spectrum. Green and yellow penetrate water the best. The reason lots of people have the wrong impression when it comes to LEDs and how well they penetrate water is either because they only think of the super white cool white or they tried using them above water or both. Halogens work well because they are more yellow and the light penetrates the water with less glare. The same goes for green and under water. The yellows and greens don’t reflect back off the particles in the water and give a clouding effect like cool white will. I like green for super clear and a little iff color water and warm white for the murkier stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts