Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Scout 221 Winyah Bay
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Been working on getting some of my first products fabricated. I wanted to share this one with you and see what you guys thought. I've seen a lot of complaints about the Atlas Micro getting a lot of play in it, bolts shearing, plates walking, etc. One of the things I noticed was a very slop prone bolting arrangement and with the help of a local friend of mine (and micro skiff enthusiast), we came up with a fix that is robust but doesn't change too much of the overall design of the unit. I welcome any feedback and am looking for folks interested in giving this setup a whirl. I have 5 kits in stock right now.

Made in the USA with all 316SS components. Bearings are oil embedded bronze bushings and thrust washers that are fairly inexpensive to replace - no rubber washers to shred to pieces. Design creates actual clamp load throughout, limiting the possibility of the bolts to have forward/backward motion. Does not utilize threads in the soft aluminum so no need to rely on that interface. Requires the original bolt holes to be drilled out to 0.500". Includes UHMW film to segregate SS from Aluminum (prevent galvanic corrosion).

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Suspension Suspension part

Let me know your thoughts! Also have a design for a replacement relay/harness/bracket setup that should be much more element resistant with replaceable relays.

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,658 Posts
Nice idea for one of the issues but the biggest issue with those plates is a huge design flaw where the ram is not centered. It causes the motor to bind when pushing up and pulling down. Common sense tells engineers that the more you center the load the more efficient the force being applied will operate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would love to test it out, I recently replaced my actuator on my micro atlas.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It’s because the ram is off center and causes binding. I went through 3 and sold it the last time it was replaced and it burned up on him within two months. They are garbage IMO.
What Jack-plate would you/others recommend then?
Thanks

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,658 Posts
I could not find the specs on the standard atlas but the Bob’s light weight says 70 pounds, I thought “my god”, that can’t be right.
Scroll down and there’s a chart. Keep in mind this includes the weight of the separate hydraulic pump that can be mounted as far forward as you want given the hoses are long enough. This will get some if that weight off the transom. A good mounting location is under the deck on the rear bulkhead.

Text Font Screenshot

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m certainly not saying that one jackplate is better than another but I know a lot of people running the Atlas Micro don’t want to shell out 700+ for a new setup. I’m simply providing an easy solution that increases rigidity, decreases freedom of motion (in the wrong directions) and isn’t a complex change for people that already own the Atlas Micro. My preliminary testing shows it runs much smoother than the factory setup, even with a 425lb 115 Suzuki on it.

As for the ram being off center, yes that allows for some strange dynamics but as I mentioned, the more you can limit motion in the directions that the parts are not supposed to move, this should reduce or even eliminate binding all-together.

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
What Jack-plate would you/others recommend then?
Thanks
Bob’s all day every day. I have the 4”. Made in USA and great warranty. I’m sure others will attest.
Bbbbb- Bob’s!

I was thinking about it the other day and posted on their IG about it but... I’ve installed well over $100,000 worth of Bob’s jack plates in my time! Wanna guess how many I have had to repair?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, here is a video I took of the Suzuki 115 mounted to the MicroJack with my reinforcement kit installed. I'm also working on a replacement wiring/relay harness in addition to a mounting bracket for the weatherproof relays. I've heard a lot of griping about relay failure with a lot of jack plates. I've posted the 3D model image on my website if you're curious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having bought a boat with an Atlas Micro Jacker that was not maintained( i.e. weekly checked on the tension of each bolt) and not wanting to fold the tent and redo all the install, hydraulic, and wiring I decided to chat with Tyler of Hull Marine.

Having installed his retro fit kit and running the jack plate for over a month I can say that this retrofit kit significantly improves the operation of the jack plate both in smoothness and speed. There is no "walking" or binding that was normal if I did not check the back pressure of the bolts on each trip. I will say the retro fit kit is a much improved design that does not rely on non-similar metals (aluminum and stainless) being used to hold tension.

I highly recommend this product for any that want to extend the life of their Micro Jacker or improve the function from day 1.

As an aside, I am no forum expert but for those that chose to crowd this thread with comments that by their nature are negative to the intent of the initial opening thread........

-Clayton

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just wanted to give this thread a nudge since Clayton, my first guinea pig had a chance to post about the kit. Please reach out if you have any questions on this setup. My aim is to provide a product that increases the longevity and improves the function of your already existing unit. I'm not here to become a millionaire, just lessen my dependence on my day job and create cool products for boating. I'm not here to tell you which jack-plate is better (until I get my own design to market) but I am open to suggestions for any products you guys may be looking for that is unfulfilled by current suppliers!

Thanks,
Tyler
President - Hull Marine Products

·
Registered
48 Posts
Recently installed this Micro Jacker Reinforcement Kit with a Yamaha F70 and ran it over the weekend. As Clayton said, it definitely seemed to help with the smoothness of operation and got rid of some of the slop I had with the original bolts. Was about ready to throw in the towel and switch to a Bob's but I'm glad I tried this out first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts