Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,016 Posts
Pretty sad when a boat rigger leaves wires and fuses where you need to call them to troubleshoot a simple issue. I hope you figure it out. Maybe you have the first “no relay” model I’ve ever seen.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I appreciate the help guys but I am just gonna have to talk to East Cape to get the real story from them.
I followed the black line into the engine housing and it comes up into the bottom and there are a bunch of cables in there and no way I can tell what is what. As to the little 5 amp fuse holder. I have a bunch of fuse holders I can see in the engine housing. Again, no way I can tell what is what. But no matter when the all the lines come into the hull from the rigging hose I can not find any kind of connectors or relays.
The wire coming of the top of the unit is actually two wires inside a protective sheath. Those are the black and white wires that I am talking about. Here are pics of what you should be looking for.
20200209_150653.jpg
20200209_150628.jpg

·
Registered
748 Posts
So for an idiot like me how do I determine if its the relay or the switch?
Look at the little schematic on the relay. Figure out which terminals supply 12v power and ground to your component. Use a jumper wire to complete that circuit and very briefly operate the switch. If your component moves this way but not with the relay plugged in your relay is bad.
For the more advanced method you can supply power and ground to the relay coil and use an ohm meter to see if the coil succeeds in completing the circuit.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
So one of the guys at East Cape called me and told me where to look. The relays are indeed inside the engine cowling. Nothing really made them look any different than any other relay but once he walked me through it I find them easily. Trouble shot the system while I was on the phone with him and we determined it was the switch on the throttle. So a new one is being sent today. Shouldn't be too bad to wire in the new switch....he also walked me down the steps to get inside the console to make it easiest to get at the wiring. Thanks for all the help.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,016 Posts
So one of the guys at East Cape called me and told me where to look. The relays are indeed inside the engine cowling. Nothing really made them look any different than any other relay but once he walked me through it I find them easily. Trouble shot the system while I was on the phone with him and we determined it was the switch on the throttle. So a new one is being sent today. Shouldn't be too bad to wire in the new switch....he also walked me down the steps to get inside the console to make it easiest to get at the wiring. Thanks for all the help.
Glad you got it licked. Keep an eye on those slide bolts so they aren’t too tight or too loose.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Glad you got it licked. Keep an eye on those slide bolts so they aren’t too tight or too loose.
This is very important, I didn’t address mine when I noticed a little “tilt” on the torturously slow movement, ended up losing 3 of 4 bolts.
The Bob’s is worth every bit of extra weight btw, smooth and fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently learned that all JPs (Atlas and Bob’s) are now made in China. They don’t use de-tinned wire. Best to rewire them before installing.
Did you rewire the actuator too? I have the same problem it seems like a lot of people have. Had it for 2 months, actuator went bad and just got the replacement in. Wanna know if I should do that before installing it. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Called TH Marine and they forwarded me to CMC Marine. They listened to my description and sent me a replacement actuator. I paid shipping both ways (return to avoid core charge). Easy swap out and I'm back in business. I'd rather it hadn't died in the first place, but I'm happy with their customer support!

-- Carl
I called Today and they were strict on their 1 year warranty :( My jackplate stopped working this weekend with only 76 hours on the motor and got the boat from SaltMarsh on June 2018 so right at the 2 year mark. They "helped" me out with only charging me $299 for the actuator, I did everything they advised and what I read off everyone's comments and jumped the cables to the battery itself and well nothing (bad actuator) so I guess once it arrives I can start swapping them out, this is the first thing that goes bad on the skiff in these 2 years.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,185 Posts
I recently learned that all JPs (Atlas and Bob’s) are now made in China. They don’t use de-tinned wire. Best to rewire them before installing.
Stevie, not doubting you, but how did you verify this? Through the companies?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
D971592A-65EE-4D5D-9AEA-681F0F43FA95.png

Made in USA! Nothing but Bob’s for me!

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
9,016 Posts
I called Today and they were strict on their 1 year warranty :( My jackplate stopped working this weekend with only 76 hours on the motor and got the boat from SaltMarsh on June 2018 so right at the 2 year mark. They "helped" me out with only charging me $299 for the actuator, I did everything they advised and what I read off everyone's comments and jumped the cables to the battery itself and well nothing (bad actuator) so I guess once it arrives I can start swapping them out, this is the first thing that goes bad on the skiff in these 2 years.
I went through 3 actuators and sold the JP after I replaced the third one and it last that guy two months then burned up. Trash. Bad design. BOB’S from now on.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went through 3 actuators and sold the JP after I replaced the third one and it last that guy two months then burned up. Trash. Bad design. BOB’S from now on.
Well I already placed the order for the replacement if it doesn’t last that long I might consider the bobs JP after this. Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
So I need your help, I received the new actuator and started making the swap but it appears the top bolt is stuck and wont come out, I have tried with WD40, hammer, wrench, etc.. and nothing any tips or tricks?

·
Premium Member
1,256 Posts
Heat, heat, and more heat.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts