Atlas Micro Jacker problems

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by el9surf, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

Pretty sad when a boat rigger leaves wires and fuses where you need to call them to troubleshoot a simple issue. I hope you figure it out. Maybe you have the first “no relay” model I’ve ever seen.

2. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

The wire coming of the top of the unit is actually two wires inside a protective sheath. Those are the black and white wires that I am talking about. Here are pics of what you should be looking for. 20200209_150653.jpg 20200209_150628.jpg

3. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

The inline 5 amp fuse is shown in the top picture with the purple wire next to the inline breaker.

4. tjtfishon

tjtfishon Well-Known Member

Look at the little schematic on the relay. Figure out which terminals supply 12v power and ground to your component. Use a jumper wire to complete that circuit and very briefly operate the switch. If your component moves this way but not with the relay plugged in your relay is bad.
    For the more advanced method you can supply power and ground to the relay coil and use an ohm meter to see if the coil succeeds in completing the circuit.

5. ifsteve

ifsteve Well-Known Member

So one of the guys at East Cape called me and told me where to look. The relays are indeed inside the engine cowling. Nothing really made them look any different than any other relay but once he walked me through it I find them easily. Trouble shot the system while I was on the phone with him and we determined it was the switch on the throttle. So a new one is being sent today. Shouldn't be too bad to wire in the new switch....he also walked me down the steps to get inside the console to make it easiest to get at the wiring. Thanks for all the help.

6. Smackdaddy53

Glad you got it licked. Keep an eye on those slide bolts so they aren’t too tight or too loose.

timogleason and ifsteve like this.
  7. POCtied

POCtied Well-Known Member

This is very important, I didn’t address mine when I noticed a little “tilt” on the torturously slow movement, ended up losing 3 of 4 bolts.
    The Bob’s is worth every bit of extra weight btw, smooth and fast.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  8. CKEAT

CKEAT Well-Known Member

How right do the bolts need to be? Mine is not super smooth.

9. CKEAT

CKEAT Well-Known Member

10. Did you rewire the actuator too? I have the same problem it seems like a lot of people have. Had it for 2 months, actuator went bad and just got the replacement in. Wanna know if I should do that before installing it. Thanks

11. elsillo

elsillo Well-Known Member

I called Today and they were strict on their 1 year warranty :( My jackplate stopped working this weekend with only 76 hours on the motor and got the boat from SaltMarsh on June 2018 so right at the 2 year mark. They "helped" me out with only charging me $299 for the actuator, I did everything they advised and what I read off everyone's comments and jumped the cables to the battery itself and well nothing (bad actuator) so I guess once it arrives I can start swapping them out, this is the first thing that goes bad on the skiff in these 2 years.

12. Zika

Zika Forgotten Coaster

Stevie, not doubting you, but how did you verify this? Through the companies?

13. JC Designs

JC Designs Well-Known Member

D971592A-65EE-4D5D-9AEA-681F0F43FA95.png
    Made in USA! Nothing but Bob’s for me!

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  14. Smackdaddy53

I went through 3 actuators and sold the JP after I replaced the third one and it last that guy two months then burned up. Trash. Bad design. BOB’S from now on.

JC Designs likes this.
  15. elsillo

Well I already placed the order for the replacement if it doesn’t last that long I might consider the bobs JP after this. Thanks!

JC Designs and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  16. elsillo

So I need your help, I received the new actuator and started making the swap but it appears the top bolt is stuck and wont come out, I have tried with WD40, hammer, wrench, etc.. and nothing any tips or tricks?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. JC Designs

JC Designs Well-Known Member

18. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

I got a new actuator on warranty about 2 years ago. had to cut the old one off. tried heat.

JC Designs likes this.
  19. CKEAT

CKEAT Well-Known Member

I had some frozen bolts aluminum on stainless and used this, let it sit and it worked

Attached Files:

JC Designs and elsillo like this.
  20. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

blaster is great stuff but I tried that too.

JC Designs likes this.