Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i love pushing the flats of Biscayne bay and fishing the glades and giving you vacationing GA, NC, SC guys pointers but the tables have turned....
This weekend im flying up to Asheville Thursday night, driving to Bristol TN friday am, then driving home via 26 all the way down to savanna friday/saturday. Wondering if you guys have any DIY trout info for while im in the mountains. Never caught a trout (sea trout dont count). i have this image of just pulling off the road pulling on my waders making some casts on the way south from Bristol off 26 or 221, its not a "fishing trip" but would be stoked to land just one.

Should there be a method to my madness or small stocked bodies of water i should be aware of?Anything i should know to not be a kook up there fishing etiquette etc.
Any input is good input

·
I Love microskiff.com!
651 Posts
Get with the boys at east Tn outfitters. They have the flows on the south Holston dailed in. Ben is good people. If no snow , hit the Tuck dh, if flow ok. With all the rain you probably will be screwed on wade fishing anywhere. Or hit usual suspects around ashvegas up for some bluelines

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so i was pointed in the direction of Big Laurel Creek because of accessibility from 26, now guess i just need to get some sinking flies while im up there. i understand flies change weekly but is there some go to year round flies, like how here in fl a texas rigged worm or fluke is bass standard.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
Ok so i was pointed in the direction of Big Laurel Creek because of accessibility from 26, now guess i just need to get some sinking flies while im up there. i understand flies change weekly but is there some go to year round flies, like how here in fl a texas rigged worm or fluke is bass standard.
What are these "sinking flies" you speak of?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good to go guys! Packed a 4wt and waders, flies and tiny tippets will pick up from one of the fly shops! Hopefully ill have enough time to fish!

Also how do you know a native trout from a stocked trout? ive read that big laurel creek is delayed harvest stocked stream with many feeders so natives are mixed in.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Some tell tale signs of stocked trout are pec fins worn down, dull colors. On the other hand, local DNRs have really stepped up their game with stockers with full fins, bright colors, and firm flesh. Its getting harder and harder to distinguish the two. But if it is on DH water, I'd just about bet stocked fish. I'm speaking from experience on Ga waters, so others may vary.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
600 Posts
Go talk to the guys at Curtis Wright when you’re in Asheville. They were extremely helpful and pointed me to some small streams where the native trout were biting, I bought some flies and my license there.

·
Lip Ripper
1,717 Posts
If you stay on 26 past 95 and come on in to Charleston I’d be happy to pile you around on the skiff

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,259 Posts
Go talk to the guys at Curtis Wright when you’re in Asheville. They were extremely helpful and pointed me to some small streams where the native trout were biting, I bought some flies and my license there.
The guys at Hunter Banks seemed pretty nice when I last visited Asheville.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,097 Posts
If you can detour to Brevard the Davidson River, South Mills, and Looking Glass Creek are good. Davidson River Outfitters is a great shop.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If you can detour to Brevard the Davidson River, South Mills, and Looking Glass Creek are good. Davidson River Outfitters is a great shop.
I'll second that, I fished the Davidson River a couple of years ago and the Davidson River Outfitters were very helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are in Bristol call the gang over at Eastern Fly Outfitters (423)-538-3007. If you can get a chance to fish with a guy named Mike King, you'll be in for a treat.

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I got to Asheville I always make a stop at Hunter Banks. Have hired guides out of their shop several times and never been disappointed. Good luck. I think you will have a blast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts